Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LPP Lts & ORY install on SUV - note for SUV owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LPP Lts & ORY install on SUV - note for SUV owners

For all SUV owners the LPP longtubes fit excellent, but the LPP 3" ORY hits the tranny crossmember. I have clarified my install with another LPP user about this as well who owns a Tahoe. Also my truck is a 2wd. The stock wye has a huge flatspot, but thats not where the LPP ORY touches, its at the actually WYE bend where both pipes connect. Thats the end that squeeze tight against the crossmember with some persuasion. I have a few pics I will share of the problem. I still got it all bolted up, but pushing on the crossmember cant be good for any vibrations. Also the entire exhaust must be pushed back about 7 inches or so. That was confirmed by another user as well.

So maybe the trucks a lil different. The LPPs are ON now with ORY. Im going to have a exhaust shop move my passenger 02 sensor back and, heat the wye, and bend it so it dont touch the crossmember. Also to cut and dump after the muffler. So somewhat of a direct bolt on, but not quite a direct fit.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I also had to notch my cross member because it was hitting and have heard of other truck guys having to do the same. So its not just a suv thing..
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine didn't hit the crossmember (I'm 4wd, so that might be the difference), but it does hit the steering shaft and did hit the front driveshaft. Fixed the DS problem by pulling it out of the way with a hose clamp and re-tightening the band clamp; it has held so far but maybe 1/4" clearance.

I wouldn't dump the exhaust under the truck, it will be loud. I dumped mine after the rear axle, but after the headers, I am welding the piece of tailpipe I cut off back on to exit out the side. Just IMHO.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Hahha nice
Old 01-12-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skolman91
I also had to notch my cross member because it was hitting and have heard of other truck guys having to do the same. So its not just a suv thing..
Pics of this, this exactly what I was told. But they told me notch the frame, and I said no. But notching the x-member is not so bad.. Can I see some pics?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
I wouldn't dump the exhaust under the truck, it will be loud. I dumped mine after the rear axle, but after the headers, I am welding the piece of tailpipe I cut off back on to exit out the side. Just IMHO.
I take your heed wisely. So I may dump after the axle.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did an lpp&ofy insatll on an 06 2wd tahoe this past wekend and man was a tight fit my buddy hade to go to a muffler shop the next day, they removed the y-pipe and heated up and banged it and i believe flaten the sides up so it would not rub on the cross-member that in order to make it fit I hade to remove!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

yea I had to remove the crossmember, and jack the crossmember up on that side, to get it to squeeze back together. Talk about a pain in the ****.

This is the trouble area, where both 3" pipes merge to 1 it rest on the crossmember right there. All other fitment is good, except for in that corner.

sucks that I have to go to exhaust shop now, cause I didnt plan on it, and funds are low. So truck will sit for a little longer.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

BTW mines a 01.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Headers look real good! My pacesetter Y had plenty of clearance

Quick Reply: LPP Lts & ORY install on SUV - note for SUV owners