Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lpp's are on

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lpp's are on

fter 4 hours the LPP's are on. The look great, and fit ok. I installed them from the bottom. Slid right up. Installed the passenger side first.Put all the bolts in hand tight. While tightening them with a 3/8" rachet one broke off. I think maybe lpp should supply these with some grade 5 or better bolts. Its the one in the center thats side by side so i think i should be ok.
The drivers side went in effortless. Just the last bolt towards the rear is hard to get to.

The y pipe isn't the greatest fit. Had trouble getting it fitted into the headers. After I wrestled with that for 30 mins it finally seated. Well the y pipe and passenger side header almost hit the floor board. After i put the clamp on it rubs the floor board.

Next to the connector that connects to the stock donut. It didn't come with any bolts. Lucky i was able to use the bolts from the egr mount, and a nut from the stock manifolds. Got it connected, now it won't line up with the y pipe. So I might take it to an exhaust shop and have them just weld it all up.

Oh and i broke the dipstick while trying to remove it. So that will be ordered tomorrow.

Other then those few issues im pleased with the headers just the fit's a little off.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like fun. Post some pics if you can. Were the bolts supplied by Lpp or did you reuse the old ones?
Old 03-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

The bolts were supplied.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:56 PM
QLF
Launching!

Originally Posted by fbs2s
The bolts were supplied.

That's why I bought my Percey's. I didn't want to chance breaking a bolt, especially after barely being able to get one of my manifold bolts out of the head. I think it's all header manufacturers, they seem to skimp out on the hardware just like the gaskets. Good to hear they fit pretty well though, how much clearance do you have around the tranny x-member and the bottom of the frame?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's no good about the fitment, I am considering getting a pair myself. I hope they get that worked out by the time I'm ready to buy. Post up some pics if you can.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a bit of a bummer, they look like nice quality headers, I was hoping to hear that the fitment would be better. Too bad about the hardware too...my SW's didn't come with the bolts to attach the flanges to the heads, but luckily the hardware that came with my old Gibson shorties was of pretty good quality, and I used anti-sieze on the threads when I installed them. Aside from surface rust on the heads of the bolts, the threads were in great shape. I put new anti-sieze on them and re-used them on my SW's. I've gotten over 8 years of service out of those bolts so far

Looking forward to seeing some pics of those LPP's when you get a chance...was it the dipstick or the dipstick tube that broke? If it was the tube, were you able to get the broken piece out of the block?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

it was the tube that broke. it didn't break in the block. it broke where the bolt mounts to the head.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i reused my old bolts.the head the lpp comes with is not big enough.im glad yours "slid" in lol
Old 03-15-2009, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Pics.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

/me waits for pics

Quick Reply: Lpp's are on