Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LQ4/9 Performance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4/9 Performance Questions

I'm seriously planning out doing a LQ4/LQ9 swap into my '88 Trans Am. I've already done the LT1/T56 swap, but I'm thinking that it won't be reliable enough. I'm a tech at a Dealership, so I see these trucks everyday and know them better than the LT1. I've got a few (edit: a lot) of questions about these motors. So if there's a good site I can go check out lost os specs and comparos on them let me know.
1) First off...will an LQ4/LQ9 bolt up to my current '96 T56, providing I get a bellhousing from an LS1 T56?
2) I heard the LQ4 has dished pistons and aluminum heads after '02. I'm leaning towards the LQ4 for it's lower compression because I'd like to Supercharge it later down the road. Is there a company that makes a S'Charger setup like the old school Roots Style Blowers? I've seen this setup on Y and F-Bodies. I think it's Magnacharger..??
3) Would most LS1 aftermarket performance parts fit on an LQ4/9? If so which ones?
4) Would it be worth it to buy an LQ4/9 used? I've looked at GmPartsDirect.om and they're only around 4 grand shipped...that's before my Gm discount.
5) Is there a strocker package for these motors?
The reason I'm looking into the truck 6.0 as opposed to the aluminum LS1/2 is because it's cheaper, and you can do more machining (if the time comes) on an iron block versus aluminum.
Like I said, I'd appreciate any and all input! Truck guys seem to be more open and helpful than 4th gen F-Body guys for some reason.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

1. As far as the T56 goes, I believe it will bolt up no prob with with LS1 bellhousing.
2. Yes the LQ4 has lower comp. It will be better suited for forced induction, also you should be able to find a LQ4 cheaper then a LQ9. And yes the roots style that you seen was most likely a Magnacharger. ( AKA Radix)
3. I do believe that almost all bolt on parts will interchange if I am wrong someone correct me.
4. If you find one in good shape then I dont see a problem getting a used one, just make sure the block isnt cracked or somthing else.
5. You have more room to Bore a LQ4 then a LS1 and there are various cranks out there so take your pick. I am not sure what the max displacement of a 6.0L is maybe someone else can chime in.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Thanks for al lthe answers dude! Is there a specific compay that makes quality reputable performance parts for these motors? Does anyone have an LQ4 with similar mods than what Im' thinking of? I'm searching the boards too, but if anyone else would like to chime in with their opinions no which mods to get and which ones to stay away form would be very helpful! Also, is there any reputable place to get a used '02-above LQ4 from?
Like I said, I'm thinking about going with this motor instead of the LT1 because it's a better designed motor, and much more reliable.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Admin

As far a good performance parts, it all depends on what you want...
I have a LQ4, I will be supercharging it this weekend possiblly( IF if have time) As far a recomending mods, it all depends on what your future goals are with it. Since it is going in a car, I think a cam, valve springs and rockers would be good. The springs on the 6.0L dont like to go much higher then 6200, personally if i was putting a 6.0 in a car I would build it to spin a little higher but then again your cam selection depends on whether you are going to supercharge, turbo, nitrous, NA.??? A cammed 6.0 with a free flowing intake and exhaust and good tune should run damn good in a car. Or you could just throw a blower on and call it a day.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Launching!

What kind of Supercharger are you going with?
If i were to go with an N/A setup, I was thinking ported LS6 heads/intake/cam.
If I were to go with the Radix S'Charger what all would need to be modded in order to compliment the Boost and still be reliable?
Which setup either my N/A and Boosted setups or some of your choices for either would be better and more reliable?
Also, fuel mileage is a concern. I've got a Ford 9" with 4.10's in the car now. What kind of mileage would I be seeing (approximatly) with one of these setups with the T56?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will have to use all brakets for f body or y body trucks are different.
every thing else should work fine. Good luck
i will be doing the same think in a few mouth with 94 f body
Old 03-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Admin

I am going to be running a Kenne Bell supercharger.
If you are going NA then the LS6 heads would be ok. They will raise your compression.
I am assuming you ment Radix supercharger... A good air filter, set of long tube headers wouldnt hurt and a free flowing exhaust. Gotta get the air in then out as efficiently as possible. The T56 should be ok behind that combo, I think...
If you are worried about milege then I personally would put in a mostly stock 6.0 ( I would do different valve springs and some good rod bolts if you plan on running a decent amount of boost)and a supercharger. Granted when you are on the gas hard it will suck gas, however on the highway it should put down some decent MPG numbers especially with the T56. The head and cam combo combined with higher compession most likely wont get you the highway mpg that you want. But then again it all depends on what you consider good gas milege. What us truck guys consider good is most likely what a car guy will call bad. High horsepower and alot of weight equal low MPG.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the 6 speed you should see high 20s, maybe even 30 mpg on the highway. That is if you can keep your foot out of it.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
I am going to be running a Kenne Bell supercharger.
If you are going NA then the LS6 heads would be ok. They will raise your compression.
I am assuming you ment Radix supercharger... A good air filter, set of long tube headers wouldnt hurt and a free flowing exhaust. Gotta get the air in then out as efficiently as possible. The T56 should be ok behind that combo, I think...
If you are worried about milege then I personally would put in a mostly stock 6.0 ( I would do different valve springs and some good rod bolts if you plan on running a decent amount of boost)and a supercharger. Granted when you are on the gas hard it will suck gas, however on the highway it should put down some decent MPG numbers especially with the T56. The head and cam combo combined with higher compession most likely wont get you the highway mpg that you want. But then again it all depends on what you consider good gas milege. What us truck guys consider good is most likely what a car guy will call bad. High horsepower and alot of weight equal low MPG.
Ah ko, so a Radix S'Charger a good set of Custom Long Tube Headers, and keeping my foot out of it ALL the time should yield me better MPG numbers than a Stroker or Heads/Cam Combo?
To me, good mileage is around what my old 305/auto/2.73 open rear got: 18-20 City, and 24-28 Highway.
What kind of mods do you guys have? What would be a good first mod?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Admin

Check your PM's

Quick Reply: LQ4/9 Performance Questions