Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lq4 built and started!......somethings not right

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lq4 built and started!......somethings not right

Hey guys I just got done with my LQ4 - 4l80e build and swap. The 6.0 has milled heads, camshaft, beehive springs, 4.0 bore, NNBS intake manifold with LS3 throttle body, shorty exhaust manifolds . Black bear performance does my tunes and segment swap.

So the truck doesn't really want to start unless I give it gas. Once its running it sounds good but is having the P0300 code for random misfire. If i let go of the gas it will go into a rough idle then kind of backfire and die. I have recorded a data scan and emailed it to them for review, but wanted to see if you guys might no whats up? is this just the tune? or could something else be wrong.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 565 Likes on 487 Posts

Could easily be lean. Needing throttle input and doesn't want to idle well could be a fueling issue. Also a possible vacuum leak.

I hope you have a wideband in that truck because it would surely be helping you right now.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:31 PM
Launching!

I do not have a wideband. I hope its something so simple. Nothing I can do about it until black bear makes an adjustment correct? I double check my vacums
Old 01-17-2020, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know how they will know what to do without a wideband. Narrowband o2 sensors can not tell you what is really going on. They can somewhat show a lean/rich condition once closed loop fuel control is reached but they won't tell you how far off fueling really is.

Depending on camshaft size and such, the misfire detection likely needs adjustments so it isn't just popping P0300 codes all the time.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:00 PM
Launching!

I have all my oem 02 sensors. I thought you meant a wideband guage.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is exactly what I'm talking about.

A wideband o2 sensor can tell you the real time air fuel ratio in the exhaust. The narrow band o2 which are factory are completely worthless for telling you real time air fuel ratio's. They can only tell you whether or not the fueling is lean or rich of stoich but can never give you an exact answer like a wideband o2 sensor/gauge can.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:12 PM
Launching!

lol **** everything leads to needing something else
Old 01-17-2020, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Blackbear I would only hope would say the same thing to do. They would be completely blind if there couldn't log a wideband in the exhaust through their Auto-cal setup. It is impossible to predict airflow and fueling so there is no way they could just email you a tune and pray it worked.

Ideally a road tune or a dyno tune is the best option, email tunes are going to take forever with back and forth back and forth.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:02 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by willhorne22
lol **** everything leads to needing something else
Ain't that the truth!

Looking at your sig, you know the snowball effect lol

I was having issues with an e-mail tune and was totally blind to what was going on. It was frustrating coming from the carburetor and distributor world where all my tuning skills lived. It hurt buying the wideband and HP Tuners but after a year and a half using both devices it was the best investment I've made for the truck. I actually used it today fine tuning my shift points. It's the only way to see (yourself) what is going on. It's a lot better than shooting the expensive parts canon at an issue only to have missed the target. Or having to rely on a busy back logged professional tuner.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Well. Any suggestions on a wideband solution. I read everyone is installing them driverside right after collector, but whats a good brand and mainly how do you wire it in?

Quick Reply: Lq4 built and started!......somethings not right