Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Lq4 built and started!......somethings not right

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

man summit racing catalog came in the day I pulled
motor back out. I was definitely looking at the full forged setup but I’m just deciding to get it back together cheap as possible.

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Oh boy this has me feeling all sorts of ways since I just finished my first rebuild. Sucks to see but while its apart you could always go forged!
The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

man that sucks!

did you check clearances on all the bearings when you put it together? i would think if the bearing was not sitting right when you tightened it up you would have seen a gap or noticed it not going down right. while its out as mentioned id pull it all a part and look every thing over, cheapest way out is to have the crank turned or polished (if it can be?) what ever is needed and resize or replace the rod and grab new rod bearings

that still tell us why it was not firing? you need to look into that
Old 01-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Launching!

I think the crank is going to have to be replaced. Yah I checked clearances and they were good. I remember getting frustrated at the rod bearings and actually messed one up on install and had to order a new set. I have a shitty motor stand and installed 1 while the motor was right side up because it was so hard to turn the motor upside down again. I'm sure its my fault.

So ill look for a new crank and I'm good on rod bearings. Looks like a replacement rod is 55 on ebay.

The not firing issue is definitely something i need to look into.

Originally Posted by stroker87
man that sucks!

did you check clearances on all the bearings when you put it together? i would think if the bearing was not sitting right when you tightened it up you would have seen a gap or noticed it not going down right. while its out as mentioned id pull it all a part and look every thing over, cheapest way out is to have the crank turned or polished (if it can be?) what ever is needed and resize or replace the rod and grab new rod bearings

that still tell us why it was not firing? you need to look into that
Old 01-27-2020, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think i have a set of rods and pistons around here dont remember, i'll have to look if i find them i can send you a rod

what gen rods are you using?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:16 AM
Launching!

LY6 rods think its 2003-2014 rods.

Well I just took off all my rod caps and my Cylinder 1 rod bolts were loose. I dont even know surely i'm not this stupid.

i think i have a set of rods and pistons around here dont remember, i'll have to look if i find them i can send you a rod

what gen rods are you using?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by willhorne22
LY6 rods think its 2003-2014 rods.

Well I just took off all my rod caps and my Cylinder 1 rod bolts were loose. I dont even know surely i'm not this stupid.
It happens I had my entire short block assembled when someone pointed out I never clean the oil passages. Working on personal projects in the evening with interruptions makes perfection difficult.

Having worked in a precision measurement calibration lab I've got to ask what brand torque wrench?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Excatly, Having a 3 year old son running around can make it hard. Husky digital torque wrench, All my other rod caps were very tight. its almost like i forgot to torque the front one down.

It happens I had my entire short block assembled when someone pointed out I never clean the oil passages. Working on personal projects in the evening with interruptions makes perfection difficult.

Having worked in a precision measurement calibration lab I've got to ask what brand torque wrench?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

Those are pretty decent for the price I'd trust it. When I did all my torque sequences I put a mark next to each bolt I did on a piece of paper and then double checked them. I've heard other people putting a sharpie mark on or next to each bolt after they torque them.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

people putting a sharpie mark on or next to each bolt after they torque them.
this is what i do, when assembling a engine there is so many torque specs and fasteners its the only way i can keep track
Old 01-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Launching!

this is what i do, when assembling a engine there is so many torque specs and fasteners its the only way i can keep track

I'll be doing that. This time..........

I just bought a $250 crankshaft machined already. 50 dollar Rod. more and oil and coolant.

Id prefer to not take the heads off just because the high dollar gaskets. My spark plug issue could have been because of loose rod bearings maybe?

Quick Reply: Lq4 built and started!......somethings not right