Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LQ9 into RCSB, legal in california?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 into RCSB, legal in california?

WELL...here's the deal...I am interested in doing the 6.0 swap into a 2003 RCSB. BUT, I live in california...SO...from what I understand as long as the motor is from the same make/model, that its concidered a REPLACEMENT MOTOR...is this true with the LQ9 from an SS into a RCSB....I was thinking about just getting a hold of the LQ4, but I dunno if it will still be smog legal in california...unless thats the motor that is in the 1500HD's.
ALSO....if I got the motor and the tranny all in one shot WITH the wiring harness and ECU...could you ACTUALY use THAT ecu for the truck and still be smog legal...or would that be concidered an engine from a 2500....because doesnt the 1500HD only have a 4L60 behind it? I am not really sure on the info guys sorry if it sounds a little bit out there but I havent gotten much sleep out here on the boat...I am off the coast of Sumatra right now doing the tsunami relief here on the lincoln so we kinda work for 14 hours a day...TANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!
Old 01-13-2005, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

what I am worried about is when I bring my truck in to get it smog'ed and the guy looks under the hood, if he DOES notice that the engine looks a little different and then checks the numbers on the side of the block (arrent they supposed to do that?).....will I be alright....because I want to do a mild cam...and just clean the heads up a little bit...nothing extreme....just something like 370-400hp at the fly wheel....I am trying to get somewhere around 300hp at the wheels....but I keep hearing all of these horror stories about 4L60's taking a **** with 5.3's behind them....whats going to happen when you stick more TQ through it....I know that the 4L80 is stronger and uses planetary gear instead of bands....and that the 4L80 is like a TH400 with overdrive as far as how tough they are.....I just want to do it right and not have to worry about the tranny...because chances are if I get a high mileage truck with the 4.8 in it....the tranny isnt going to be in the best condition either....know what I mean....I keep finding motors for about $2K-$3K with under 20 thousand miles on them...and when I read some of the descriptions they say that the wiring harness is included when you buy the trans with it....BUT....THAT combo is the LQ4....if the heavier trucks have the DOG 6.0L.....well...I figure if I can get the motor out of an SS it SHOULD be alright...but that only comes with a 4L60....so I should be able to get a 4L80 when I go to the wrecking yard for under 1200 bux...but NEW tranny's are a couple hundred more....BUT they are brand new..and some come with coolers and a whole kit...AND a stall for almost 2 grand....it just kinda seems like I should just get the motor from the junk yard, and then just get something like a JET trans, or a B&M 4L80....
sorry to babble....but I am kinda throwing ideas out there before I actually get too far into one dirrection and not realize that I am going to a dead end as far as bang for your buck parts.....PLUS....JET performance is down the street from my house in huntington beach....so thats a BIG plus...ha ha..if it breaks I dont have to have it shipped anywhere I can just take it out and drive it over and deal with things in person....
THANKS....
Old 01-13-2005, 11:53 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the LQ9/LQ4 was never offered in a RCSB 1/2 ton. They will not let it pass if you tell them.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:02 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the overhead view in an engine compartment, I don't think you would be able to see anything that would identify the motor as a 6L compared to your existing motor (unless you have a V6). As far as 1/2 tons go, the LQ9 is in the SS, the LQ4 is in the sierra Denali. No 1/2 ton truck has the 4L80 though, only the 4L60 and 5speed manual.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:05 PM
blownerator

In Cali, it would need to be offered in a RCSB to make it legal under the law. You could legally go from a 4.8 to the 5.3 no problem because it was offered in the 1/2 ton RCSB.

Like I said they would never know unless you tell them.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
In Cali, it would need to be offered in a RCSB to make it legal under the law. You could legally go from a 4.8 to the 5.3 no problem because it was offered in the 1/2 ton RCSB.

Like I said they would never know unless you tell them.
^^^^ Yeah BLOWN has the idea!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree, it's not a legal swap, but that doesn't mean you need to tell them. just make it look 100% stock when you bring it in and tell them no more than they make you.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Default dont they check serial numbers on the block?

dont they check the serial numbers on the block when they smog a truck? Even though the motor LOOKS like a 5.3 the serial number will give it away if its an LQ9. I was under the impression that you COULD swap that LQ9 in there BECAUSE it was offered in the VHO and the SS. arrent those in the same class as the RCSB, of does the fact that they are extended cabs bring them into a different vehicle class, but they are still under the silverado name?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a different MAF on a 6.0L than a 5.3L or 4.8L? If so, this would be a dead giveaway, since the bar code and part number are easily read from under the hood.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:34 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Is there a different MAF on a 6.0L than a 5.3L or 4.8L? If so, this would be a dead giveaway, since the bar code and part number are easily read from under the hood.

Same MAF, Different Calibration.

Quick Reply: LQ9 into RCSB, legal in california?