Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS-1 Parts on a Dodge, Myth or Real, you decide.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS-1 Parts on a Dodge, Myth or Real, you decide.

Hey all,

It's been a while since I have posted and checked in. I apologize for that. I am TXIGGY's friend with the Dakota R/T. I have rebuilt the top-end of my 5.9 in the R/T and found that the only spring retainers I could use from Comp Cams are LS-1 retainers. It appears that both the Mopar and LS-1 motors share the same size valves. Who would have thunk it? I did not. Anyway, I have not run the R/T in over a year at the track until last weekend. With only a 100HP shot of nitrous to the motor, I netted a 12.95 @ 105, with a 1.83 60' time. My personal best has been a 12.50 @ 110, with a 1.77 60' time over a year ago on a 150HP shot. I did not run the 150HP shot but I will soon.

Anyway, I do not have many LS-1 parts, but the ones I do have, have proven to be very good for my set-up.

You all take care and will check back soon.

Jimbo
Old 10-09-2004, 04:33 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate Dodges and I consider them "foreign" as much as I do ricers. But.....a close look at the hemi archetecture reveals that Dodge copied heavily from the LS1. Pull those heads off and replace them with a conventional set of heads and then see how much they resemble each other.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Teching In

L-Eater,

I appreciate your hatred towards Dodges as much as I used to hate Chevy's. Since my friend TXIGGY has showed better respect for Chevy's I have changed my ways.

I do appreciate your comments and continued focus for the sport. Just keep one thing in mind, not all Chevys are fast. There are a few of us Dodge owners out there that continue to run with you guys. It is all a sport. Enjoy it.

Jimbo
Old 10-09-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

a close look at the hemi archetecture reveals that Dodge copied heavily from the LS1.
those bastards.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Valvetrain parts are somewhat universal, especially aftermarket performance parts. Aftermarket roller rockers can interchange between the old SBC and SBF, many motors use pushrods and valvesprings and retainers that can interchange.
As for Dodge copying Chevy, almost all pushrod V-8's are very similar. Matter of fact, I think the LS1 has more in common with small block ford's design than it does the 1st gen SBC.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
those bastards.
LOL

Interchange is not unheard off. Its like putting Chevy valves in a Ford small block, or a Chevy water pump on an old style Hemi. Why is it using GM parts on other motors is an upgrade? Maybe if they started with a GM they wouldnt have to try to clone it.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I appreciate your hatred towards Dodges as much as I used to hate Chevy's. Since my friend TXIGGY has showed better respect for Chevy's I have changed my ways.

I do appreciate your comments and continued focus for the sport. Just keep one thing in mind, not all Chevys are fast. There are a few of us Dodge owners out there that continue to run with you guys. It is all a sport. Enjoy it.

You know this guy is pissed off.

"I appreciate your hatred towards Dodges...."

to funny.

I have a question on the topic. Is it just me or are the LS1 pushrod motors much more fuel efficient than some of the others. I guess, I dont have any examples..
Old 10-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=SportSide 5.3I have a question on the topic. Is it just me or are the LS1 pushrod motors much more fuel efficient than some of the others. I guess, I dont have any examples.. [/QUOTE]

That was part of the reason I originaly choose my 2000 silverado when I was looking at all 3, dodge, ford, and chevy. Ford was a little less mpg than chevy and the dodge 318-360 wasn't even close. Strangely my 2004 doesn't claim to get as good a mpg as my 2000, and they are both rcsb 5.3's.
I think Chevy really did their homework with the LS1's and it shows. I'm glad because I wasn't impressed with their LT1's. As for ford, one look at a 4.6 in a mustang and suddenly I didn't like the idea of modifying one. It probably wouldn't be as bad in a f-150 though. I guess I just like old school simplicity, 2 valve per cylinder single cam pushrod V8's. Thanks Chevy for keeping them alive.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah. I mean look at the new LS2 in the Corvette. The LS1 was at 25+ highway, and apparently they bumped it up another mpg in the LS2 with 400hp!

Awesome.

I guess I just like old school simplicity, 2 valve per cylinder single cam pushrod V8's.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:42 PM
14 Second Truck Club

but it still aint no HEMI

Quick Reply: LS-1 Parts on a Dodge, Myth or Real, you decide.