Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS! iron block guys, need some opions while the 4.8 is still on life support

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS! iron block guys, need some opions while the 4.8 is still on life support

As I wright this thread I am both dissipointed & amazed. I am amazed at the resistance to complete & total engine failure that I have yet to achieve. I have had a knock that I have noticed a while back that has progressivly gotten worse in the 4.8. It is a severe cold start & mildly audible @ normal temps. I have an ls1 build I am starting now. While flirting with the devil in my daily thrashing I am becoming ever more curious as to the absolutely impressive strenght that My factory build has in stock form.

For those who are curious as to the leangth's of abuse you must dilligently apply before it gives I have to decided to compile it for you, this is what it takes to almost break 4.8 in 27,251 miles:

go around spraying a 100 shot of NOS with 32 degrees of timing & see how long it will detonate
Melting 3 sets of ngk tr6's spraying a 250 shot, then admireing all the dimples on the piston tops
at least twice a day do a o-100 MPH launch shifting @ 7,000 rpm's +

you must also go at least 8500+ miles in between oil changes, abuse when it still has yet to warm up, let it go so lean while spraying it that your coolant temp increases @ least 40 degrees.

My dissipointment comes in shape of a dollar sign, I have been planning an engine transplant for some time & have managed to compile a used 5.3 short block(will be punched), ls1 rotating assembly, a spare set of 5.3 heads, ls1 intake, & of course the 224 cam I have now I intend to transfer.

I could throw this together fairly cheaply & quickly but I am concerned about a couple of things, maybe you guys can help

I intended on having the 5.3 made into a ls1 iron block with the factory rotating assembly weighed & balanced, decking the 5.3 heads with some minor intake, & major exhaust & bowl work done. I am attempting to achieve a 12.5-1 compression ratio with the set-up. I am almost certain I will run my stock fueling system at max. Of course to do it correctly I am looking at injectors, rails, new pump another $1300.00 before I start buying rod bolts, oil pump, gaskets, bearings, timing set, ect.

how many of you guys are running the ls1 iron block with head work? What have been your fuel requirements? any dyno #'s or reccomendations before checkbook starts writing frivalous amounts cash @ nothing........