Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 Fans are in!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Fans are in!!

Well, after 2.5 hrs I go the ls1 fans working. I did notice a slight bump in acceleration. I like it! Hopefully the milage will improve a touch.

Anyways, I got the nelson harness works great and a simple install. Thanks to Nelson Performance.

At full temp, both fans are on low. Heres comes my only question. With the ac on I get only one fan on high. Is this normal for the NElson Harness? ( I will end up calling him tomarrow) Also, since I am at a loss with electrical as well, how would I wire up a switch to throw both fans on high when i want?

Thanks for the info and all the help in getting these things installed.

Next up: Transgo, servos, and TOG's!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:19 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

yeah, when the ac is on only one fan is suposed to be on. when the motor is up to temp and the ac is on then both fans go onto high. everything is working perfectly
Old 06-21-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OCBC
Well, after 2.5 hrs I go the ls1 fans working. I did notice a slight bump in acceleration. I like it! Hopefully the milage will improve a touch.

Anyways, I got the nelson harness works great and a simple install. Thanks to Nelson Performance.

At full temp, both fans are on low. Heres comes my only question. With the ac on I get only one fan on high. Is this normal for the NElson Harness? ( I will end up calling him tomarrow) Also, since I am at a loss with electrical as well, how would I wire up a switch to throw both fans on high when i want?

Thanks for the info and all the help in getting these things installed.

Next up: Transgo, servos, and TOG's!!!

I think this is how it works on my brother's truck (SmokinLM7)

-One fan doesn't come on untill the temp reaches 182º. The other runs at half power if the ac is off, full power if its on.

-When the temp is normal (between 182º and 187º) and ac off (never here in Texas ) - both fans are on at half power.

-With ac is on and normal temp - one fan runs at half power and one fan at full power.

-When the temp reaches over 187º and the ac is on - both fans run at full power.

I think that how it works. Ill check tomorrow to verify.

I think the nelson harness is the same as my brother's setup since both are a 3 relay harness. Thats how it works on the new 05 models too. They also use the 3 relay setup. Laters
Old 06-21-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, thats how mine works.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn texas heat.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SORRY TO HIJACK...

What else is required other than the Nelson harness and SOME electrical know how? I'm assuming the fans and shroud, but is it really this straightforward of an install? Remove existing fan and shroud...install new fans and wire it up?

Pat
Old 06-21-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OKLAGMCRUISER
SORRY TO HIJACK...

What else is required other than the Nelson harness and SOME electrical know how? I'm assuming the fans and shroud, but is it really this straightforward of an install? Remove existing fan and shroud...install new fans and wire it up?

Pat

All you need is the fans a Nelson harness and some brackets for mounting which are easy to make. You could probably find some brackets made already at a hardware store and just mod them a bit! Thats is pretty straight forward!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Yup, its that easy. I have some cheesey brackets right now, look like hell. When i have more time Ill have my neighbor fab something nice up in his sheet metal shop. And you do not need electrical know how either. the instructions with the harness are great.

BTW. Flyer mentioned an interesting option to the nelson harness. Seems like some good ideas, personally i didnt think I needed the "extras" and went with the nelson.

Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBC
Yup, its that easy. I have some cheesey brackets right now, look like hell. When i have more time Ill have my neighbor fab something nice up in his sheet metal shop. And you do not need electrical know how either. the instructions with the harness are great.

BTW. Flyer mentioned an interesting option to the nelson harness. Seems like some good ideas, personally i didnt think I needed the "extras" and went with the nelson.

Thanks again!
What tools are needed to remove the existing fan? I've heard it's kinda a beotch.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

I had a large pipe wrench. Slip it over the nut and give it a few taps with a rubber mallet and WALA! That was actually the easiest part of the whole thing!

Quick Reply: LS1 Fans are in!!