Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 Fans installed...NO WORKY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Fans installed...NO WORKY!

I installed it using a Nelson harness and did it by the book. The only thing that i am unsure of is the wire i tapped into. It said to tap into the solid green wire. There were 2 of them. One was like a lime green and the other was a dark green. I tapped into the dark green one. Any suggestions. Kinda need help fast i gotta work tommarrow.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:52 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they not working at all? The green wire is for a/c fan operation...when the compressor kicks on, that wire should have 12v. I can't remember if I used the dk or lime green one, but you can test it with a test light. Is the blue wire of the Nelson harness totally clicked in to pin 42 of the blue PCM connector? Silly question, but has the PCM been tuned to turn the fans on? If so, I'd check to make sure you have power and ground to the fans when they should be turning on...if you do, the problem is in the fan motors, if not, the control circuit is at fault. Make sure all connections and grounds are good...also, make sure the relays are in there (one member here accidentally got a harness without the relays)
Old 09-25-2005, 08:58 PM
11 Second Truck Club

check the ground for sure. i had problems with that. i grounded it to the alt. bracket and worked fine...
Old 09-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Sexy Party Mod

I took the blue cover off and made sure that the little blue pin got clicked in and looked like all of the other ones. Allen said that the pcm has been turned on as far as the fans are concerned. I dont know what to do man. I really hope the fans themselves arent the problem. Is one of them supposed to run constantly? I guess the other kicks on when the AC kicks on.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:08 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Is one of them supposed to run constantly? I guess the other kicks on when the AC kicks on.
With the PCM tuned, both fans should come on low speed when the engine reaches their turn on temp. With the AC on, 1 fan will come on high if the engine isn't in turn on temp, both will come on high if it is in turn on temp with the ac on.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Sexy Party Mod

gonna go check the freakin ground right now. Well see if that is the problem
Old 09-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Sexy Party Mod

alrighty guys. just went out and disconnected and reistalled everything. How do i check the fans themselves to see if they are faulty or not. I have thought of these possible problems. Let me know what you think.
1.) my fans are bad, faulty, suck, i want my money back you sons of bitches

2.) The Pin 42 is not turned on and i have emailed allen to varify that its status.

3.) Somehow the jump box is not getting charge.. I need to check it with the volt ohm meter.

4.) the harness is faulty somewhere or a relay is burned...how do i check that?

Every time i want to do something cool to my truck it always screws up and doesnt go as planned. I will start calling my truck "project SNAFU"
Old 09-25-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to check the fans just make a jump wire to go from the battery to the fan to the ground...
Old 09-25-2005, 10:06 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

You can check the fans a few ways, quickest and easiest is to power them up manually. Each fan should have 2 pins...run a jumper wire from one pin to ground and from the other to 12 volts and the fan should turn on (even if polarity is reversed the fan should run, just in the wrong direction)

You can try swapping relays side to side to see if operation changes, and use a multimeter to check continuity of the harness.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Sexy Party Mod

good call. I will skip work and fix my truck. hehehehe I dont have classes on Monday or Tuesday so i may have some time to get the bugs ironed out. Thanks! I will get back with the results of that.

Quick Reply: LS1 Fans installed...NO WORKY!