Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 Fans installed...NO WORKY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the relays man. One of mine was bad.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Sexy Party Mod

HOW? is there a way to check them?
Old 09-25-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

FarmerBeau,
Don't feel bad, My fans worked great for 2 months and than one day they would not come on when the pcm told them to but would work when I turned the ac on. Switch around the relays traying to figure it out and now I have no fans pcm or ac. I am starting to think like you (snaffu)
Mark
Old 09-25-2005, 11:46 PM
Sexy Party Mod

I know man. I thought it would be plug and play! I should have known it wouldnt be that easy from the start. my cam install went fine and everything...no it didnt. I had tapping sounds and i stripped two spark plug bungs. SNAFU is right
Old 09-25-2005, 11:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
HOW? is there a way to check them?
The relays should have a schematic on them...I can't remember which pins are which off hand (85, 86, 87, etc). But you want to remove the relay and put 12v to one side of the coil and ground the other. When you do this you should hear the contacts click. Next you take an ohm meter (with the coil still energized) and check resistance across the 2 pis for the contacts...there should be very little resistance.. maybe .5 ohms at most. If resistance is way high or infinite, the relay is bad (you can use the ohm meter to find which 2 pins are the coil, it will have high resistance, unless a coil winding is open, then the reading will be infinite)
Old 09-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Moo chess grassy ***! i will check this. What is the coil? I am electrically ignorant. Dont know a damn thing about it.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:03 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

The coil is internal in the relay...when energized a magnetic field is created that allows the contact to move....I'll see if I can find a basic relay schematic and post it up...
Old 09-26-2005, 12:10 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Ok, give 12v to pin 86 and ground pin 85 (or vice versa, doesn't make a difference)

After doing so, you should have a complete circuit from pin 87 to pin 30 which will read as low resistance on an ohmeter

For more electrical info, this website is great: the 12volt.com
Old 09-26-2005, 05:23 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Every time i want to do something cool to my truck it always screws up and doesnt go as planned. I will start calling my truck "project SNAFU"
I named my truck "Nikki" cuz she's a *****. Nothing can every be simple with her and I always have to give her money for a good time (which is short lived at most times).

listen to budhayes3, he seems to have a handle on the install. Stay simple when it comes to trouble shooting...get those fans to turn on with you giving them straight battery power and no internal switching.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Thank you Budhayes3. I checked the relays and found a dud and replaced it worked. but not all of the way. Im gonna call Allen and see what he says. One doesnt work on the harness but worked whenever i put power directly to it. The other only works when i fire up the truck(turns on then turns off) or when the AC is on. Im really stumped at all of this. I really dont know what to do now. Only one works only when the ac is on.

Quick Reply: LS1 Fans installed...NO WORKY!