Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 fans with nelson harness......helpppppp

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 fans with nelson harness......helpppppp

I installed my ls1 fans last night, and the nelson harness. Take the truck to go get gas, and what do you know, it gets up to 210. The fans never came on. I came home tested the fans by plugging each one to the battery and they both work. So i know thats ok. I checked the ground on the harness, its ok, and the power wire is ok. Those two are no brainers. Next i check the pin 42 in the pcm. It looks to be ok, and the pin is equal distance in the plug compared to all the other pins. Next i checked the green wire that I had to tap into. The instructions say splice into the solid green wire. What do you know there are 3 or 4 green wires. Solid Green, Green with white stripe, and a green with black dots. Anyway i plugged into the solid green. The fans never come on.I dont know what the problem is or waht to do. If anyone can help please let me know asap.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you spliced into the green wire did you strip a little bit of the insulation? Those slicing clams don't always cut through the insulation. This will hopefully fix the fan problem with the ac on. As for the fans not turning on with temperture, do you have it turned on in your tune? You have to have the right settings to make them come on. If you happen to have edit I can walk you through it. Another think to check real quick is to make sure the relays are firmly seated in. Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will check all those things. I dont have edit, but when i ordered the harness i had allen send me a new tune and told him to turn on the fans, as well as a few other things that i didnt like from my old tune.

Can you explain making sure the relays are seated?
Old 06-11-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
I will check all those things. I dont have edit, but when i ordered the harness i had allen send me a new tune and told him to turn on the fans, as well as a few other things that i didnt like from my old tune.

Can you explain making sure the relays are seated?
I'm sure he edited the computer correctly to have them come on. As for the relays seating I just mean after you pull them out to screw the relay block to the pcm cover make sure that the relays go all the way down into the block.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I never pulled the relays out. I just used a screwdriver and screwed them to the PCM cover. I will check to make sure they are plugged in all the way, but i never did take them apart. Any other ideas?

The green wire was just for the fan that turns on for the air correct?

If niether fan comes on at all it makes me think one of two things. Either he forgot to turn on the tune for the fans, or the harness is no good.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
I never pulled the relays out. I just used a screwdriver and screwed them to the PCM cover. I will check to make sure they are plugged in all the way, but i never did take them apart. Any other ideas?

The green wire was just for the fan that turns on for the air correct?

If niether fan comes on at all it makes me think one of two things. Either he forgot to turn on the tune for the fans, or the harness is no good.

The green wire is just to turn one fan on when the ac compressor is on.
I agree with you that he either forgot to turn on the tune for the fans or you got a bad harness(witch I doubt). If you tested the fans you can eliminate that from the problem. Even if he didn't edit the fans in the tune one fan should run with the signal from the green wire. Try calling him and telling him to send you another tune.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive been trying to call him all day, but his website says hours monday-friday and saturdays to call. So he probably is not always in the shop. I left a message and ill keep trying to get a hold of him. I hope its just something simple cause i cant drive without fans.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:00 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

make sure the green wire is the one thats the same exact color as the one on the wiring harness(darker green, not lime). if one fan isnt kicking on with the AC compressor you either tapped into the wrong wire or your not getting a good connection.

Next i check the pin 42 in the pcm. It looks to be ok, and the pin is equal distance in the plug compared to all the other pins.
when you pluged into the pcm, did you take off the clear blue covor, and make sure the pin set ALL the way in? you cant just push the pin into the pcm until it looks flush with all of the other wires... take off the clear blue clip by pushing in the 2 white pins on each side of it and youll see what im talking about. i had to use a safety pin to push the pin all the way in until it seated.

that should take care of your problems
Old 06-11-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have taken that wiring harness so many time, and i did take apart that blue clear cover. Im gonna go do it one more time. the first time i did it, i just pushed it in andthoght it was ok. Then it wasnt working so i kept trying and finally i took that cover off and made it flush with all the other pins in the haress. Im going to go try it again since the rain has let up. Ill also try and strip a little of the green covering off and reclip it. Wish me luck
Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, i know what the problem is. The relays are in two parts. There is the part that allen plugs the wires into, and there should be a piece that plugs into the top of those with 4 prongs. That upper piece is not there. Id didnt come with the harness. Ill take a pic in a few minutes. Let me know which ones i need so i can go buy em today,and hopefully get allen to reimburse me

Quick Reply: LS1 fans with nelson harness......helpppppp