Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 fans with nelson harness......helpppppp

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, i already had used the test light on the power and ground....those are ok.

I am tapped into the dark green wire. The other lime green wire has black dots on it, and the instructions say the all green, plus its the same color as the new harness. Im confident on that, and im sure it has a good connection.

I unplugged one of the fans, and with the truck running i put the test light on it, and nothing happend. So that tells me there is no power to the fans.

I guess ill try and ground the blue wire from pin 42. See if that does anything. What did you mean by let the smoke out of the box?

By the way, i appreciate you all trying to help me out. Thats why i love this site, i have given many people help in the past, and here is someone returning the favor.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:30 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
What did you mean by let the smoke out of the box?
That's a slang term for frying the computer.

Since the fans aren't working with the a/c or the normal temp turn-on, my gut tells me that there may be a problem in the harness. Just want to eliminate the PCM as being a problem first. If you ground that wire and the fans still don't turn on, there has to be a problem from there forward, and you may have to check continuity in the harness from the power source to the relays to the fans etc.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you fix it yet
Old 06-11-2005, 02:32 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

By the way, i appreciate you all trying to help me out. Thats why i love this site, i have given many people help in the past, and here is someone returning the favor.
Absolutely, I can't count how many times someone here has bailed me out! I'm always glad when I can help!
Old 06-11-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I jsut tried to ground the blue pcm wire, to the negative side of the battery......no fans!
Old 06-11-2005, 02:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I jsut tried to ground the blue pcm wire, to the negative side of the battery......no fans!
Problems gotta be in the harness or connections then...wish we had a schematic of the harness. If you have a multi-meter you can start checking the wiring of the harness...or you can visually inspect it for any breaks, or possible melted fusible links.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Maybe try switching the ground to the other bolt and see if that helps, just for ***** and giggles?
Old 06-11-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, i already had used the test light on the power and ground....those are ok.

I am tapped into the dark green wire. The other lime green wire has black dots on it, and the instructions say the all green, plus its the same color as the new harness. Im confident on that, and im sure it has a good connection.

I unplugged one of the fans, and with the truck running i put the test light on it, and nothing happend. So that tells me there is no power to the fans.

I guess ill try and ground the blue wire from pin 42. See if that does anything. What did you mean by let the smoke out of the box?

I just installed one of these units two days ago and if not mistaken the ac wire looked more lime green than dark green. I could be wrong though. When I opened the loom right there by the red popwer box and tore a hole in the electrical tape the green wire was right there. Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im pretty sure im in the right green wire.....even if not, that would just mean that the ac fan would not come on if i understand things correctly. I will go try and switch the ground and see what happens although that doesnt seem to be the problem since i already tested it. Ill go out there anc check though.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:55 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

You could also just unplug the a/c wire alltogether for now while you perform your other checks...all that wire does is provide the signal (pos) for when the a/c is on. If it's disconnected, it's just like running with the a/c is off. If for some reason it's on the wrong wire, it may be proving a ground or something that you don't want, changing the harness/relay operation.

Quick Reply: LS1 fans with nelson harness......helpppppp