Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 fans with nelson harness......helpppppp

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the FAL's ... but I'll take a stab...
you can check the green wire for the a/c by putting your tester on the connector where the wire enters the big connector...just start the truck and connect the tester and have a buddy turn the a/c on and off (listen for the compressor 'cause it doesn't come on and off w/ the switch)...and your tester should show 12v when the compressor kicks on.
for the fans...Mine come on at a set temp...are you running your truck long enough to have them come on, I would run it 20*+ past normal temp to check and don't do it driving around 'cause at 30+mph that is enough to keep cool.
I'm sorry to hear about your problems, but, your setup will be very nice and will be worth it... I wish I had those fans and a nelson harness.
Good luck.
Damon
Old 06-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Teching In

I spliced into the light green wire, not the dark green.

And here is a pic of the relay that it comes with.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:36 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

im pretty sure i spliced into the green wire next to the one you used. it still works so hey
Old 06-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unplug Both Fans Take A Test Light And Jump Both Ends Of The Plug While The Truck Is Running And The A/c On See If You Are Getting 12v If Not Keep Going Backwards Till You Get 12v And You Will Find The Problem.unplug The Green Wire That You Tap In To For The A/c And Once You Have The Truck You Can Check That Wire To See If It Is The Right Wire.
Hope This Helps I Will Stay Around To See What Happens.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Teching In

I think I messed up. I installed these today, so I havent had much time to test them out.
I think the fans turn on with the ignition with the light green wire. I just went out and tested them, turned off my AC, and the fans stayed on. Oops.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright guys thanks for all the suggestion. The ac is on. thats not the problem. What i have determined is the way that the relays are wired is not correct. Also, the fan on the passenger side was wired in reverse so it was not pulling air in but rather pushing it out. i had to cut the two wires pull them through the plug and reverse them, now thats ok. But anyway, the harness was wired incorect. i had my neighbor here for 3 hours trying to figure it out. he builds custom fuel injected race cars so i figured he knew thing or two about wiring. we also found a wiring diagram online with the three relays. everything that was in the nelson harness was backward from what he could tell. we got both fans to run now but they both only come on with the ac. im just going to leave it like that till tuesday. im gonna have allen overnight me a new harness on monday and tlel him to make sure that everything is correct before it ships out. another thing is that he had two of of the relays running ground wehre the power should have been. that was causing the ac fuse in the fuse box to blow. i hooked those two ground wires together now the fans get power. all and all i can say that im very disapointed with this harness, and only hope that allen takes care of me and gets me a new one monday. i am happy with his tuning and from what i can tell im the first one to have this problem with the harness, so im sure it was just a fluke and im sure he will take care of the problem. thanks for all your help guys, and ill keep you all updated on how the install with the new harness goes.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

There you go Josh always screwing crap up... sheesh... lol jk.

I'm having a few probs of my own with my own fans... they spin like a mother tho... i have mine on a switch so i'll get it right one day...

do u notice that your idle is better when the fans are on? I'm almost at 1000rpm idle with them on, lol. And than when it heats up.. im back to around 950.. but its a better idle... more sustained.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the idle is better, and my new tune is much better. second gear pulls forever and the shifts arent so violent now.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:14 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that you got it figured out at least...sucks about the outcome, but I'm sure that allen will make good by ya. At least now you know where the problem lies and how to fix it. Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 06-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

the nelson harness should be wired very similar like this

Quick Reply: LS1 fans with nelson harness......helpppppp