Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ls1 hot cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 hot cam

has any one put a ls1 hot cam in a 6.0 Lq4 i have one layin around just wanted 2 know if thats a good cam for these motors its 219/228 .525/.525 112 i am gonna have a nelson tune pretty soon and thought i would put the cam in before i get it tuned

Thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gmcandcaprice
has any one put a ls1 hot cam in a 6.0 Lq4 i have one layin around just wanted 2 know if thats a good cam for these motors its 219/228 .525/.525 112 i am gonna have a nelson tune pretty soon and thought i would put the cam in before i get it tuned

Thanks
Man I've been wondering the same thing for some time now. I have never heard of anyone running it in any of the truck motors 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0. So I'm curious too...
Old 11-19-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hotcam is a relatively good cam for someone who wants a cam thats inexpensive, provides decent power, and with no valvespring maintainence. The downside to the cam is its drivability characteristics, but I think most of my drivability problems are because my tune is off. Surging, stalling, bucking and dying are an occurance... but you could tune most of it out. I have tci 3000 stall and I would at least recommend that. I kept the same pushrods and just used the ls6 springs. The hotcam kit also comes with valve spring seats, which require you to remove your valve seals, and seats (shims). However, from 2002+ the stock heads already have seats that are shimmed to correct height, so you wont need to change those out.

Bottom line, if your going cheap, loping hard, decent power with some drivability problems, but take the time to tune on it, its a good cam.

If you want to spend a little extra money, you could get a cam that has newer technology, higher lift, and more aggressive lobe design. Also you could probably achieve better drivability, more power, and less tuning issues as compared to the hotcam.

Im putting together a new combination for my truck which will be a vortech blown 6.0l, and I went with a cam motion custom grind. You may want to submit a cam request to see what they recommend for you and your trucks specifications. http://www.cammotion.com or contact some sponors to see what they recommend.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Deckhand
The hotcam is a relatively good cam for someone who wants a cam thats inexpensive, provides decent power, and with no valvespring maintainence. The downside to the cam is its drivability characteristics, but I think most of my drivability problems are because my tune is off. Surging, stalling, bucking and dying are an occurance... but you could tune most of it out. I have tci 3000 stall and I would at least recommend that. I kept the same pushrods and just used the ls6 springs. The hotcam kit also comes with valve spring seats, which require you to remove your valve seals, and seats (shims). However, from 2002+ the stock heads already have seats that are shimmed to correct height, so you wont need to change those out.

Bottom line, if your going cheap, loping hard, decent power with some drivability problems, but take the time to tune on it, its a good cam.

If you want to spend a little extra money, you could get a cam that has newer technology, higher lift, and more aggressive lobe design. Also you could probably achieve better drivability, more power, and less tuning issues as compared to the hotcam.

Im putting together a new combination for my truck which will be a vortech blown 6.0l, and I went with a cam motion custom grind. You may want to submit a cam request to see what they recommend for you and your trucks specifications. http://www.cammotion.com or contact some sponors to see what they recommend.

Wanna sell the hot cam??
Old 11-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Launching!

so basically since i have a 2003 lq4 with 317 casting heads i dont need to install the spring shims just the springs that came with the cam that saves alot of trouble
Old 11-20-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not selling the cam as of yet, as I may use the motor to transplant into another project. But if I decide to sell it, ill let you know.
Originally Posted by gmcandcaprice
so basically since i have a 2003 lq4 with 317 casting heads i dont need to install the spring shims just the springs that came with the cam that saves alot of trouble

Yes.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

From my experience any hotcam isnt worth it. For a few more bucks get a custom-grind CompCam or a TSP cam.. It is definately worth it for the money!