Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ls1 intake vs truck intake. thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Since a picture is worth a thousand numbers...

I took the liberty of putting the data from the TPIS/Sweet Thunder mag intake test Erik linked to earlier into excel go get a better visual comparison of the intakes tested. Take a look at the graphs and tell me which intake you would rather have. I only plotted the GM manifolds(ls1/2/6) this round as those were the only ones I was imediately interested in. I will share the entire excel file once I get all the data put into it. I think I have made up my mind on what I want to do, just got to start saving the funds to do it, although I think I can do it fairly cheap, considering.
Attached Thumbnails ls1 intake vs truck intake.  thoughts-intake_test_torque.jpg   ls1 intake vs truck intake.  thoughts-intake_test_hp.jpg  
Old 03-07-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather have a FAST 90 .....mainly because I already have it.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
The TPIS spyder (identical to the Vic Jr.) came out on top of the FAST 90 in CHP's test. Here's a link to the article. They don't explicitly say so, but it looks like no elbow.

Interstingly enough, if you look at a useable max RPM for most trucks, say 6400 rpm, the LS2 car intake makes the best numbers.
I have an LS2 intake in the garage. Would it be beneficial to swap to that with a FI setup?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I really dont think all the problems with the truck intake discussed in this thread are an issue with FI as the manifold is pressurized and dosnt flow in the same fashion as in a NA application.
Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigKID
I took the liberty of putting the data from the TPIS/Sweet Thunder mag intake test Erik linked to earlier into excel go get a better visual comparison of the intakes tested. Take a look at the graphs and tell me which intake you would rather have. I only plotted the GM manifolds(ls1/2/6) this round as those were the only ones I was imediately interested in. I will share the entire excel file once I get all the data put into it. I think I have made up my mind on what I want to do, just got to start saving the funds to do it, although I think I can do it fairly cheap, considering.
Thats some good stuff there

That LS2 and 90 dont look too bad, huh?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigKID
I really dont think all the problems with the truck intake discussed in this thread are an issue with FI as the manifold is pressurized and dosnt flow in the same fashion as in a NA application.
Anyone else have an opinion on this?
I feel the same way
intake is pressurized
voids are filled and air flows to the point of least resistance

Thats why parish makes ungodly #s through the truck intake, but...

this reminds me of another thread
The results fom the 90 and radix
comparing this to the 90mm on the radix is different,
because its on the pull side ,so to speak, therefore making the blower work
less
If the radix was blowing into the TB I dont think they would have seen the gains like they did

my opinion would be small gains when compared to an NA setup

but who knows, sometimes opinions aint worth a damn
Old 03-08-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing (fi). If we changed the intake wouldn't that give us FI guy's a better power band? Just like ported and polished heads. FI guys would lose psi but make more power at lower psi levels, because of less resistance. Right? Maybe not!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Theres one way to find out, give me a turbo kit.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did it and noticed some gains especially up top. I am running a LS1 though. Do I have any proven numbers? Im afraid not! I think I paid $30 for it and when I get around to putting a LS6 intake on it will be an easy swap!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kano
That LS2 and 90 dont look too bad, huh?
I think I may try it out. I am not in a big hurry as I want to get everything I can out of the setup as it is now so I will just keep my eyes on the classifieds for a cheap LS2 intake and 90mm NW or TPIS throttle body. I am also going to keep my eyes open for some 97 vette fuel rails unless I decide to go aftermarket.

Quick Reply: ls1 intake vs truck intake. thoughts