Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ls1 Muffler Selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ls1 Muffler Selection

Hey guys, I know muffler questions are beat into the ground but I wanted to ask about my dads setup. He has a 2000 ecsb GMC with an Ls1 and dual Flowmaster 50 series I believe. Needless to say the thing drones like crazy at 1500-2000 RPM and I want to get him something different with his birthday coming up.

So my question is what would you guys suggest? I know everyone says Magnaflow for performance, but I have heard several that say they have drone issues with them as well. I have also thought about Corsa or Borla as well.

Oh and he is running stock exhaust manifolds and stock cats. Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running Jones Max Flow SS mufflers on my vehicles now. I have a DI/DO 3" muffler on my LQ4 and it sounds better than a Magnaflow IMHO but much noisier when you jump on the throttle.

The issue with drone comes from muffler placement, tailpipe placement and exhaust pipe length as well as muffler choice. One would say it's more important than just muffler choice, because most mufflers just highlight the issue more than a stuffy stock style muffler would.

Flowmaster mufflers are chambered and feature little, if nothing, in the way of sound deadening media, so it's gonna drone worse than most would, in my experience.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

That makes sense. Seems like I read a while back where someone was talking about putting the mufflers as far back in the exhaust as possible to help drone. Then of course I know about the J tube that is suppose to help it as well. I am just wantint to get him something that not only helps drone but also sounds better and performs better than what he has now. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any straight-thru mufflers would be an upgrade to the Flowmasters.

I can't speak for the longevity of the Jones mufflers, but they are raw stainless steel at 1/3rd of the cost of a standard magnaflow. Just buy the Max Flow SS versions, as they sound amazing IMHO.

I used to be a Magnaflow fan, repping them on all the forums i'm on but they are overpriced and aren't worth the money even in quality. I painted both my raw stainless mufflers with VHT flameproof paint to protect and resist burning off.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK great thanks for the help. I will check into the mufflers you are talking about. I run an Aero turbine on my truck and like it a lot so I may check into those as well.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else have any input?? Leaning towards an Aero Turbine from TEC right now, probably their 3535XL model. I think I will replace the tips with their stainless ones which are a different design from the resonating tips he has now. This should also hopefully help the sound and looks at the same time.

So its looking like dual 2.5" to 3.5" single muffler back to dual 2.25" out the back. Does this sound good to you guys??
Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

check out the gm perf. parts muffler from borla

http://www.borla.com/products/muffle..._19131347.html
Old 05-09-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 53bowtie

So its looking like dual 2.5" to 3.5" single muffler back to dual 2.25" out the back. Does this sound good to you guys??

That doesn't make a lot of sense, from a performance perspective. It will certainly work and won't be holding you back exactly, but it's not the best idea for flow and performance.

I'd like to recommend either a dual 2.5" into 3"-3.5" single exhaust or dual 2.5" w/X-Pipe and DI/DO 2.5" muffler. You could do an H-pipe too, but even with both exhaust pipes running down the pass. side on my 02', the X-pipe really made a huge difference to flow/velocity on a true dual exhaust.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the pipes go into the same muffler is an X pipe necessary since the exhaust will mix in the muffler? He has dual 2.5" pipe coming from each cat to a single Flowmaster 50 series then 2.25" pip coming out of the muffler and exiting under the rear bumper on either side of the spare tire.

So what if I replaced the muffler then ran 2.5" pipes out the back in the same location but with different tips so they dont resonate so much. Would that work better?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

It all depends on the style of muffler. A chambered/baffled or turbo style muffler will both feed exhaust into common chambers to "balance". A straight-thru style muffler will have 2 separate pipes both using the same sound deadening chamber/media.

An H or X-pipe is unnecessary if you run both exhausts into a common space for even a short period of time. So it's fine to run the exhaust however you want.

I was just giving out better options for you that would better optimize your exhaust performance. It's best to follow my actions if you have to spend money on the exhaust anyway, but if you are just adding to an existing setup than I can understand your want to spend as little as possible.

If that's the case, then your setup idea should be fine. It's not gonna flow as well as a balanced dual setup or a well sized 2-into-1 exhaust setup (2.5" into 3.5" single tailpipe).

Quick Reply: Ls1 Muffler Selection