Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ls1 Muffler Selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well back to the drawing board........

Spoke with Jordan, owner of TEC Exhaust, on the phone and he informed me that the 5.7 and 6.0 engines are more than likely louder than what I am looking for on my dads truck with the style mufflers he manufactures.

I was also looking at the Borla ProXs mufflers, does anyone have any experience with those?? Jordan told me that Borla and Magnaflow designs would have drone issues as well though so I am not sure.

The only one he did recommend was Corsa but I cant find a muffler from them seperate from a cat back system.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zfdbhwen
I'm running Jones Max Flow SS mufflers on my vehicles now
Sorry didnt see this earlier, I cant get the link to work however.

Koots, would you happen to have any video of your exhaust that I could listen to? I am interested in the 22" body dual 2.5 in/out Max Flow SS. For less than $60 I could at least try it and even if he didnt like it I wouldnt be out much. I would probably also put an X pipe in front of it and different style tips on the end to help flow and sound.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zfdbhwen
I'm running Jones Max Flow SS mufflers on my vehicles now

They are damn good for the price. I got to try and get a camera so I can get a video, I'm sure more people would jump on the bandwagon after that.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
Sorry didnt see this earlier, I cant get the link to work however.

Koots, would you happen to have any video of your exhaust that I could listen to? I am interested in the 22" body dual 2.5 in/out Max Flow SS. For less than $60 I could at least try it and even if he didnt like it I wouldnt be out much. I would probably also put an X pipe in front of it and different style tips on the end to help flow and sound.
The DI/DO Max Flow SS mufflers are internal X-pipe, even the one you describe.

The dual purpose of x-pipe and performance muffler was hard to ignore, which was why I took the jump on this brand. The internal x-pipe transition is very well done and made a huge difference to my overall performance. It sucks not having the x-pipe in an equal length spot, but it doesn't make a huge difference. I did, however, notice a slight smoothness/power increase when I extended the pass.side exhaust pipe the extra 1.5' to get as equal as I could.

I now know that x-piped dual exhausts do work and I wouldn't even think of a true dual setup or single setup unless I've got no room or am running a single turbo setup.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koots, thanks for all the help on this. How loud would you say your Max Flow SS muffler is at cruising RPM? That is the main thing I am wanting to tone down a little from his current setup. A nice, mellow rumble at idle, a nice, mellow, deep tone at cruising speed, but sounds mean when you get on it.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

The muffler is very mild with very little throttle input and load, but it quickly get loud when you start pushing it.

Mine has drone, but that's because I only have one tailpipe that extends past the cab/bed area and the other dumps straight into that gap, due to stock hanger location. even so, the exhaust doesn't extend past the axle and is therefore resonant because of design, not from muffler.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok maybe my dads will be ok with the pipes exiting under the rear bumper. The main thing I do not want is drone at highway speeds. I wonder if I shouldnt look into putting some resonators in line to help mellow it down even further. Its just hard to judge how loud it will be compared to the setup he has now.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you should be fine, but if you are truly worried, then 2 single mufflers would work even better and ensure a lower dB level overall.

I'm still very pleased with my exhaust, even 7 months into having it. I drive the truck briskly at first, to get it to a good cruising speed for decent fuel economy while still being fun to drive. This means I do make a bit of noise while driving, but even at idle, I can still hear the valvetrain tick I get but accented by a very deep rumble.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, read some reviews and watched some sound clips on youtube and liked the way the Max Flow muffler sounded so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I placed an order for the following.......

Max Flow SS Muffler

Aero Exhaust ST2535 2.5" stainless tip - Components

I am hoping this will get my dad the sound he is after. If nothing else it will flow much better than his 50 series Flowmaster anyway. Thanks again for all the help Koots, would have never even looked at Jones Exhaust before and would have spent more money on a Borla or Magnaflow most likely.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Max Flow mufflers are magnaflow mufflers. Even the part numbers are the same. The muffler you got is MF2568, go to summit, put in 12568 and it brings up the magnaflow identical to the muffler you got, same case length, overall length, inlet size, everything (and MF could stand for either max flow or magna flow). That goes for many of the max flow mufflers (if not all of them, i haven't checked to make sure all part numbers are the same), instead of MF, just put 1 and the part number and it will bring up the exact same magnaflow muffler. I've got 3 max flow mufflers right now, and besides the Magnaflow stamping, i would guarantee nobody could tell the difference, by looks or by sound.

Quick Reply: Ls1 Muffler Selection