Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 swap?

How much faster would my truck be if I swaped my 5.3L with a 5.7L LS1 engine? Would it be worth the swap or would it just be easier to buy the entire f-body car? Would it be easy as taking the 5.3L out and just dropping the 5.7L in, would everything line up, no mods required, fuel lines brake lines throttle cables etc...? In other words would it be an easy swap?

----99 GMC Sierra SLE reg. cab, short bed: factory limited slip 3.42 rear end, Edelbrock T.E.S headers, HPP3 tuning, helix power tower TBS,true duel flowmaster exhaust set-up, K&N FIPK, free ram air set-up, Magnaflow x-pipe, descreened MAF sensor.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: LS1 swap?

It sure would be fast, there is a member on this forum named Farmtruc, he has a truck with a LS1 engine and runs 13.5 in the 1/4 mile.
I don't know much about swaps and I'm sure that Farmtruc and several people in this forum that would give you a more accurate answer on what you have to do, but anyway here is what I know:
You can get a LS1 block and a set of 6.0L heads (or keep your stock heads)and swap the rest from your 5.3L, even the tranny would fit. Tunning would be needed.

Old 09-13-2003, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

For the tuning, could I just get a computer from an LS1?
Old 09-13-2003, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would my tranny from my 5.3L work with the 5.7L LS1?
Old 09-13-2003, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

:quote:You can get a LS1 block and a set of 6.0L heads (or keep your stock heads)and swap the rest from your 5.3L, even the tranny would fit. Tunning would be needed.:qoute:

Old 09-13-2003, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

My truck is a daily driver and I wouldn't have that much down time, so I wouldn't have time to have a company custom tune my truck. If I dropped a complete stock 5.7L LS1 in it and got the computer for the LS1 would anything still need to be tuned. To me there wouldn't seem like there would be anything left to tune if I got the computer for it.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

My truck is a daily driver and I wouldn't have that much down time, so I wouldn't have time to have a company custom tune my truck. If I dropped a complete stock 5.7L LS1 in it and got the computer for the LS1 would anything still need to be tuned. To me there wouldn't seem like there would be anything left to tune if I got the computer for it.
Stock LS1, with LS1 heads+LS1 cam should be fine. You do not need the LS1 PCM. Allen used as his swap was in an older truck...he runs 13's with a stock LS1. I mean stock too, no headers yet, no cam, just a wideband tune.

Oh even stock vehicles benefit from a tune my friend. It can only run better when tuned properly (timing changes, A/F, TqMgt, etc). It should run okay for driving around, but while you have the LS1 on an engine stand I'd install a cam, new valve springs, etc. to max out what you are installing. I would find someone locally to tune it or many places offer core charges on PCM's so you can order one, install it, make sure you like it, and send you old non-tuned one back.

The LS1 will make more power than the 5.3 you have now and about the same as an aluminum headed 6.0 motor.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what your saying is I could make my own stock 5.7L LS1, take out my 5.3L and drop in the 5.7L, and still use the computer from my 5.3L to operate my 5.7L? Would it work? Would I be able to keep my radiator and fan shroud and air conditioning acessories all in the same place? Does anyone have any pics of a 5.7L LS1 swap in their trucks?
Old 09-13-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

So what your saying is I could make my own stock 5.7L LS1, take out my 5.3L and drop in the 5.7L, and still use the computer from my 5.3L to operate my 5.7L? Would it work? Would I be able to keep my radiator and fan shroud and air conditioning acessories all in the same place? Does anyone have any pics of a 5.7L LS1 swap in their trucks?
That is how I would understand it to work. All you are changing is the block and heads, that's it. The rest of the crap should bolt up. Acc brackets, water pump, etc. I think I remember reading that you are missing a certain bolt hole for an accessory.

GM uses the same PCM for the 4.8/5.3/6.0 trucks and I'd assume the LS1/LS6 also, I'd bet the C5 ones are just flashed differently.

The pics of it using truck accessories are going to look identical to what you have between the fenders surrently, just an aluminum block.

A super simple swap would be for the 6.0L iron motor with the aluminum heads ('01+), that is a DIRECT swap for every part under the hood. The LS1 swap can be done but I think it will create a tad of a headache.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

I landed me a 5.7 ls1 I plan on swaping it with the 5.3 in my 03 I'm dieing to do it anyone have any info please let me know.

Quick Reply: LS1 swap?