Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS1 truck PCM help kinda long replies needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 truck PCM help kinda long replies needed

I posted this over at LS1.com but I figured I might also get some info here as well. Ok, here is what I'm getting into LOL. I have a 00 S10 that I am installing a LS1 into with a T56. The problem I am running into is this. I want all my power options to work obviously and everything runs off that damned BCM. Everything from my keyless entry to the auto headlights to the fog lights ect ect just like the silverado, thus I have to keep my BCM. Well, I am swapping over to a 01 cab harness and such being the 01 and newer S10's use the same PCM that the LS1 powered f-bodies use and the trucks use, and I will just hybred in the LS1 6 speed motor harness where it is needed. My questions are this. Will the S10 BCM be compatable in this situation? I know in the silverados the BCM is the same reguardless of motor choice 4.3, 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0. It makes sense to me that if the later is compatable in 4.3 configuration and V8 it would hold true for a S10 BCM right? On the ABS on the silverados and such they use the speedo sensor for the rear ABS correct? If this is the case do you guys have any idea of the signal output of the VSS on your trannies, particularly any truck with a 5.3 or 6.0 equipped with a stick? I was messing around on gmbuypower.com and I supposedly can build a 2500 truck with a 6.0 and a 6 speed transmission or a 5 speed. Is this an actual configuration or is the site just blowing smoke up my rear? I know the output the S10 BCM and ABS module is looking for is 40,000 revs per mile or a 40 tooth reluctor ring, just however you want to look at it. I know the fbodies look for a 17 pulse reluctor ring or 17,000 pulses per mile on the 6 speed cars. I am wondering this because of the ABS and such on the S10 is also driven off the VSS for the back like the silverados. I know LS1 edit can probiably fix 95% of the problems I will encounter once I get it all going, but LS1 edit is probiably not going to be able to do anything with the ABS module or the BCM being they are S10 specific. So when I have the S10 initially configured by the dealer once I get it all wired up I would like to have it as close as possible so it would at least run. Basically what I will do is I will have it flashed with a VIN load program (for those of you that are familar with the GM Tech II tool) from the most appropiate vehicle to get it up and running as close as possible. I know the motor tuning and such will be off and so would the speedo and the reverse lockout would probiably be inactive as well as the CAGS if I use a fullsize truck VIN number, but it would at least give me a good starting place to work with so the ABS and such will work. Another question I have is I know the f-bodies and Vettes use a VATS key, do the Silverados use this same type of key or is it just a plain old key with no chip in it? I know the S10 has no VATS system. As for these folks that deal specifically in S10 V8 swaps the majority of what they charge is outragious as far as I'm concerned. They want close to $1000 for a wiring harness and PCM that they lock once they get done programming so you can't get the motor dyno tuned unless you take it to them, and bend over Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:38 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: LS1 truck PCM help kinda long replies needed

Man, I wish I could help you on that. Have you contacted some any shops that do custom PCM work, such as speartech? I'd think those guys would have a better idea about what you need to find out.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Teching In

The 4.8 motor is LS1 based, came witha stick and will be the most likely option to look at for the parts you may need.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

I have talked to a few shops about it and they are afraid of it LOL. I guess I will have to find a brave soul somewhere.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone done an LS1 into a S10 yet? I know a ton of people have done LT1's but the LS1 sounds much more complicated. Speartech is good at that stuff like Bigtex said. Give them a call.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Has anyone done an LS1 into a S10 yet? I know a ton of people have done LT1's but the LS1 sounds much more complicated. Speartech is good at that stuff like Bigtex said. Give them a call.
There are a few that have done it but. The only folks I know of that have done it have done it to non OBD II trucks. They used a standalone GM performance parts PCM from what I have seen. The only one that has had a working OBD II truck particularly a 98+ is Lees High Tech trucks and if you look at their price listings most of their gear is way out of my league LOL. If somebody has I am not aware of it. I did find something out interesting today and got something for free LOL. I was looking through the dealer parts book and the 03 S10 uses the same BCM that the 02 fullsize truck does. Hehehehe, also the 01-03 PCM used in f-bodies, fullsize trucks, S10's is the same. With that said it would stand to common sense that you could flash the PCM and BCM with a 02 truck load. Now the question is what about the reluctor and VSS output issues? I will have to put a 40 tooth reluctor in the T56 because that is what my ABS unit is looking for as well as the BCM for the speed controlled accessories inside IE speed sensitive volume on the radio ect ect, "YES the BCM needs that input too LOL" but it stands to good chance I think I have this somewhat licked. Now just to see if I can find a guy that works with LS1 edit that is brave enough to tackle this sucker LOL. My next question is gonna address the Any other info would be nice guys. Thanks for your help and keep it coming. I wish some of the f-body guys would pipe in here because I'm sure some of them have some ideas. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I know That street and performance have done a few hybrids using LS1's and the stk truck BCM's. This will allow you to get by with the BCM and PCM diff vins. As far as the pulse per mile you can set that up in edit and manipulate however. I will mention more on this later. VATS can be easily edited out do not worry about that, and as far as tuning it I do not know of any of these place that LOCK their progs, you could take it to whomever. ED WRIGHT LOCKS BUT NOT ALL OF THEM.
LHT is local to me.
It would be in your best interest to get a PCM with a manual to begin with and go from there. I had a guy that did an a4 to m6 swap and his speedo was off and we had to set it back to an m6 flash and all was well from there. Im brave and dont know all the answers but I can get them.
hope tyhis is somewhat of a help.

Old 08-29-2003, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

I know That street and performance have done a few hybrids using LS1's and the stk truck BCM's. This will allow you to get by with the BCM and PCM diff vins. As far as the pulse per mile you can set that up in edit and manipulate however. I will mention more on this later. VATS can be easily edited out do not worry about that, and as far as tuning it I do not know of any of these place that LOCK their progs, you could take it to whomever. ED WRIGHT LOCKS BUT NOT ALL OF THEM.
LHT is local to me.
It would be in your best interest to get a PCM with a manual to begin with and go from there. I had a guy that did an a4 to m6 swap and his speedo was off and we had to set it back to an m6 flash and all was well from there. Im brave and dont know all the answers but I can get them.
hope tyhis is somewhat of a help.

Well, this is a bit of info that I found interesting that I'm sure will interest you. A friend of mine that works at the dealer hooked me up with a bunch of info on PCM outputs this morning. It looks to be compatable on every level. I will need to use a 40 tooth reluctor wheel but the instrument clusters are looking for the same input for the Tach and the Speedo for both the S10 and the fullsize. My guage cluster from 00 is analog so I will have to get a cluster out of a 01+ S10, oh well big deal. Tach is 2 pulses per engine rev and speedo is 4000 pulses per mile. I put 40,000 originally in my first post oops. JeremyF so you are located in florida huh? Do you know of anybody local to the Virginia Maryland area that will mess with it? Better yet is there anybody in Pa that does dyno tuning particularly on the west end of Pa? All the fbody guys I have talked to don't want to touch it, I don't know if they are just scared of it or if they just don't have the knowhow to do it. Thanks for your help and keep the suggestions rolling.