Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS2 TBSS intake on 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default LS2 TBSS intake on 5.3

What would it take to put it on and run it?? would I still need car acessories? What about the Throttle body?? Fuel rails? injectors? What would the expected results be?

-I can get one of these things for FREE....
Old 06-22-2007, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How the pulley system is designed on a car LS1 style system is vastly different than on a truck system. First of all, the pulleys are aligned differently. The water pump is different. You will either need to modify your water pump or buy a vette water pump and have spacers made to move the water pump pulley out to align with the truck pulley system. To modify your water pump, you have to plug the hole where the neck comes out on top. Look at your water pump and you will see a round cast "hole" that was never machined into an actual hole, it looks like a circle...you have to machine that out and tap that and put a custom water neck in for the hose coming from the radiator to connect to.

Now onto the idler pulley. Because the TB sits lower on a car intake, you must also relocate the idler pulley. There a couple of ways to do that, but it seems the mos tpopular way is to cut off the idler pulley, and buy a custom made bracket to relocate it to another spot. I think speartech or someone make sone? I also heard someone on this board has made their own as well...

Then you need car style fuel rails and adapt those to the truck fuel lines, new custom intake tube from the MAF to the TB as it is now in a different position, etc.

Lots involved and I'm sure I might have missed something, but thats basically what you are looking at...a long weekend project at best if you have all of the tools.

And I am not even 100% sure the LS2 intake will match the intake ports on the 5.3L heads...I think it will...I know the L92's will not.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a good explination for a car intake, but the TBSS has a raised truck intake w/90 mm TB.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by black2003ss
How the pulley system is designed on a car LS1 style system is vastly different than on a truck system. First of all, the pulleys are aligned differently. The water pump is different. You will either need to modify your water pump or buy a vette water pump and have spacers made to move the water pump pulley out to align with the truck pulley system. To modify your water pump, you have to plug the hole where the neck comes out on top. Look at your water pump and you will see a round cast "hole" that was never machined into an actual hole, it looks like a circle...you have to machine that out and tap that and put a custom water neck in for the hose coming from the radiator to connect to.

Now onto the idler pulley. Because the TB sits lower on a car intake, you must also relocate the idler pulley. There a couple of ways to do that, but it seems the mos tpopular way is to cut off the idler pulley, and buy a custom made bracket to relocate it to another spot. I think speartech or someone make sone? I also heard someone on this board has made their own as well...

Then you need car style fuel rails and adapt those to the truck fuel lines, new custom intake tube from the MAF to the TB as it is now in a different position, etc.

Lots involved and I'm sure I might have missed something, but thats basically what you are looking at...a long weekend project at best if you have all of the tools.

And I am not even 100% sure the LS2 intake will match the intake ports on the 5.3L heads...I think it will...I know the L92's will not.
Thanks for the writeup man... but I'm not exactly a Nooblet LOL... I was just wondering if it would be a similar process getting one of these intakes on my truck as it would be to get a "car style" intake..
Old 06-22-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

here ya go

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ssr+ls2+intake
Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by colyneedsv8
thats a good explination for a car intake, but the TBSS has a raised truck intake w/90 mm TB.

yeah, its like a 1/2 car 1/2 truck intake manifold.... I'm sure it maks good torque and still flows really well up top... I'm just really curious since I can pick one up for nothing. a guy here locally has a TBSS he went to a L76/L92 setup on and he said he'll give me his stock stuff since he's never planning on putting it back stock.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
a guy here locally has a TBSS he went to a L76/L92 setup on and he said he'll give me his stock stuff since he's never planning on putting it back stock.
Let me know how he likes the L76/92 setup, I'm debating that combo.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me wonder what the difference is between the LS2 Intakes and the new Gen IV truck 4.8/5.3/6.0's. I haven't confirmed what size the stock TB is on my 07 4.8 yet and would be nowhere close to needing the conversion at this point, but might be useful knowledge for future reference.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:39 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't have any problems with clearance running the LS2 truck manifold. A couple things to watch out for though....you need a 4 bolt 90mm throttle body and you'll have to fab up your own throttle cable bracket since all of the LS2 trucks are ETC. You will also need to custom-make some fuel rails. I cut the tabs off my stock truck rails and made my own brackets from some thin strips of aluminum. The crossover tube will only clear if you use the taller LS1 style injectors. The MAP sensor wires will also have to be lengthened.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:43 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: LS2 TBSS intake on 5.3