Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ls6 intake swap = zip, zilch, zero

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the hell size donkey dick cam are you running that you need to go up to 6900 RPM's?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
What the hell size donkey dick cam are you running that you need to go up to 6900 RPM's?
Wow, any good advice you can give with that totally helpful post?
BTW i believe he is running a 226 cam.
Also i run my 6.0l with a TR220/112LSA to 6700 rpms with the truck intake per dyno results showing me i make power that high up.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

cam isnt huge at all.

226/226 584/584 112+4 XER

i shift at 6900 because if i shift it earlier it feels like i didnt pull it far enough. my butt dyno could be off but it puts down some decent times for shifting that high.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After we loaded the new tune for intake and injectors,started it up for the first time and fuel trims were right on.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

quit bragging charliehaha j/k

i just got done comparing my before and after times with the heads...stock heads to patriot heads i only picked up a little more than 1mph in the 1/8....by the time i hit the 1/4 mark i picked up 5mph over the stock heads so im guna keep my head high and cross my fingers for the results this friday.

maybe ill get another 5mph!!!! haha yeah right.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Truck Sponsor

It's the truck man not me.LOL
I was thinking about that Stew,I think running the 1/4 you may see alittle better results.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
Originally Posted by hirdlej
I thought that was pretty funny myself...

I'm about to do an LS6 intake. In all honesty I don't expect to see a single bit of difference between the two (100% stock 5.3) but I want to clean up the engine bay. Long term (when the 5.3 goes) I expect to see gains on something larger (6L+).
Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
I thought that was pretty funny myself...

I'm about to do an LS6 intake. In all honesty I don't expect to see a single bit of difference between the two (100% stock 5.3) but I want to clean up the engine bay. Long term (when the 5.3 goes) I expect to see gains on something larger (6L+).
I just thought it was worthless post haha.
Anyway i think you will see a tenth or two maybe even more considering your basically a stok 5.3 you said right?
Gotta figure these guys doin the mod do it last and get a couple mph and 1-2 tenths.Plus since it is a last mod for most guys they are already pretty fast where 20hp doesn't make a big differance ya know.
You 20 hp to something running 14's and it's like HOT DAMWNNNN.
I think even stock less than 2 tenths would be disappointing but i don't see that kind of gain being a problem at all when it's a early mod for sure.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
quit bragging charliehaha j/k

i just got done comparing my before and after times with the heads...stock heads to patriot heads i only picked up a little more than 1mph in the 1/8....by the time i hit the 1/4 mark i picked up 5mph over the stock heads so im guna keep my head high and cross my fingers for the results this friday.

maybe ill get another 5mph!!!! haha yeah right.
I woudn't bet on 5mph this late in the game NA but i would expect some positive results once you run the 1/4.
Only thing you gotta remember is that now you have good air runs vs bad air runs when it comes to the 1/4 which kinda sucks but not much you can do till it cools off now.
Just hang in there. Didn't you say your gonna put it on a dyno soon?
Personally i think you could spin it higher with your setup only problem though would be the motor itself not holding together at such high rpms. Arn't the motors good with just rod bolts up to about 7200 rpms? or is my memory bad?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil04
BTW i believe he is running a 226 cam.
Also i run my 6.0l with a TR220/112LSA to 6700 rpms with the truck intake per dyno results showing me i make power that high up.

Useful to you, probably not. Useful to some others, maybe. 6900RPM's in a street driven truck is insane. Where's the usable power? Can something that has power up that high be a delight to drive on the street? Where's a scan of your dynograph? If a TR220 is putting peak power up that high on a 6L, you probably are missing out on a lot of off idle and midrange power. I am willing to bet that you could do more with less on a properly designed street motor. I would think that people who shift that high would soon start posting threads like:
  • I blew my crappy 4l60e up again
  • Why is my oil pressure low?
  • Funny tick in the valvetrain, what is it?
  • Ut oh, cylinder #7 doesn't have any compression
  • Comp 918's are junk, I just found 8 of the 16 were broken.

I'm not being a dick here, I just couldn't figure out how or why on earth someone would need to wind their truck up to 6900 RPM's to get power out of it? I believe more could be accomplished with less. I could go into more detail but we'd be getting off the topic of this thread which is about intake manifolds, not camshafts and making usable power. I'm sure Stew has a purpose and objective in mind when this motor was built and that's why it revs up as high as it does. The comment made by Stew where he feels as though he needs to rev it up that high or the truck falls on its face is more than likely true. It's falling on its face probably because of a lack of torque required to move a 5,000lb extended cab truck. Anways I'm done. I just wanted to know cam he was running that required him to rev as high as he does. I'll refrain from posting in this thread anymore.

Quick Reply: ls6 intake swap = zip, zilch, zero