Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ls6 intake swap = zip, zilch, zero

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious to see the upcoming dyno graph and a previous one if you have it. How high up do you plan to spin it on the rollers? Sounds like you'd have to wind the hell out of it before the power drops off.

Looking forward to the new 1/4 mile times too, I'm sure that they'll be more positive than the 1/8.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Useful to you, probably not. Useful to some others, maybe. 6900RPM's in a street driven truck is insane. Where's the usable power? Can something that has power up that high be a delight to drive on the street? Where's a scan of your dynograph? If a TR220 is putting peak power up that high on a 6L, you probably are missing out on a lot of off idle and midrange power. I am willing to bet that you could do more with less on a properly designed street motor. I would think that people who shift that high would soon start posting threads like:
  • I blew my crappy 4l60e up again
  • Why is my oil pressure low?
  • Funny tick in the valvetrain, what is it?
  • Ut oh, cylinder #7 doesn't have any compression
  • Comp 918's are junk, I just found 8 of the 16 were broken.

I'm not being a dick here, I just couldn't figure out how or why on earth someone would need to wind their truck up to 6900 RPM's to get power out of it? I believe more could be accomplished with less. I could go into more detail but we'd be getting off the topic of this thread which is about intake manifolds, not camshafts and making usable power. I'm sure Stew has a purpose and objective in mind when this motor was built and that's why it revs up as high as it does. The comment made by Stew where he feels as though he needs to rev it up that high or the truck falls on its face is more than likely true. It's falling on its face probably because of a lack of torque required to move a 5,000lb extended cab truck. Anways I'm done. I just wanted to know cam he was running that required him to rev as high as he does. I'll refrain from posting in this thread anymore.

built 60e is lasting fine, oil pressure sits just under 60psi at idle and at 80psi cruising at 80mph. well past 80 at full throttle. it is a total delight to drive on the street. using dual patriot gold springs so theres no float or fear of breaking. the truck is daily drivable. i daily drove it up until my new job which is an hour drive. i can only brake stall to 2200 rpm before the tires spin.

truck has plenty torque down low. 1.69 60' times on motor spinning tires, trapping 110mph on motor. 226 cam is mild in a ls1 so i have plenty usable power. i didnt say it falls on its face unless i rev it up that high...i said it feels like im shifting too early any lower. my 5000lb extended cab truck moves just fine. come get a piece of it if you dont beleave so.

and show me another truck doing more with less
Old 06-04-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Useful to you, probably not. Useful to some others, maybe. 6900RPM's in a street driven truck is insane. Where's the usable power? Can something that has power up that high be a delight to drive on the street? Where's a scan of your dynograph? If a TR220 is putting peak power up that high on a 6L, you probably are missing out on a lot of off idle and midrange power. I am willing to bet that you could do more with less on a properly designed street motor. I would think that people who shift that high would soon start posting threads like:
  • I blew my crappy 4l60e up again
  • Why is my oil pressure low?
  • Funny tick in the valvetrain, what is it?
  • Ut oh, cylinder #7 doesn't have any compression
  • Comp 918's are junk, I just found 8 of the 16 were broken.

I'm not being a dick here, I just couldn't figure out how or why on earth someone would need to wind their truck up to 6900 RPM's to get power out of it? I believe more could be accomplished with less. I could go into more detail but we'd be getting off the topic of this thread which is about intake manifolds, not camshafts and making usable power. I'm sure Stew has a purpose and objective in mind when this motor was built and that's why it revs up as high as it does. The comment made by Stew where he feels as though he needs to rev it up that high or the truck falls on its face is more than likely true. It's falling on its face probably because of a lack of torque required to move a 5,000lb extended cab truck. Anways I'm done. I just wanted to know cam he was running that required him to rev as high as he does. I'll refrain from posting in this thread anymore.
Any normal logic applied to stews truck is useless lol that truck is a freak, were talking about a 100k+ mile LS1 Shortblock a Set of Patriot heads and a 226 cam

and i garauntee it runs harder than almost any truck i have seen ESPECIALLY With his mods
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZebes
Any normal logic applied to stews truck is useless lol that truck is a freak, were talking about a 100k+ mile LS1 Shortblock a Set of Patriot heads and a 226 cam

and i garauntee it runs harder than almost any truck i have seen ESPECIALLY With his mods
120,000 mile + change the oil and keep it topped off and they will run forever. motor has had royal purple in it since 30k.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, im in the hospital for a few days and there seems to be alot of stuff happening here...

yeah stew, wait till you run it in the quarter, those are the real results there!! and to ever was asking, im shifting mine @ 6800... same cam as txsilverado.. and yes its DD everyday!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Stews truck pulls that high so he spins it that high, why not spin it if the power has not dropped off yet?
On my truck a 220 cam in a 6.0l is a very small cam. It's about as mild as you can get for a street/track ride for the most part. Yes people do put smaller cams in em but if your looking for speed most guys go 224 or larger for the most part.
My truck pulls way up because it has power that high.
I never said it peaker at those rpms. It actually peaked at 5800rpms and holds a flat line till around 6200 and very slowly comes down a total of 11hp which is where i shift at.
The motor makes a damn nice powerband and holds it till almost 7k so i spin it that high. If i had some slicks to put on the truck i would go run it but as of right now the best 60 i got from my whooping 2 runs was a 2.067 spinning very badly.
Anyway believe as you will i guess because some people have trucks and we spin em high we have no street mannors is what your saying/believe.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used a G-Meter to set my shift points.Damn 4l60e has a nasty drop between 1st and second.Just watch the G's till they drop off in first and made sure when it shifted into second I was pulling the same at the bottom.
Edit:
Only recommend this if your valvetrain and oil pressure is up to the task.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
I used a G-Meter to set my shift points.Damn 4l60e has a nasty drop between 1st and second.Just watch the G's till they drop off in first and made sure when it shifted into second I was pulling the same at the bottom.
Edit:
Only recommend this if your valvetrain and oil pressure is up to the task.
I have one as well, did it on both my trucks.
Which reminds me i turn my rcsb stepside which is a bolt on only truck w/4.10 gears to 6400rpms.
It certainly does not make peak power up there but it does pull harder/faster.
I used the g-tech to verify the G's on the shift point as well as track testing all in the same night.