Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS6 Intake Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Come Get Some!!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if I could use a 3" throttle body spacer to get the clearance I need using the LS6 intake with the truck water pump neck since I have a DBW throttle body?

I know there isn't any performance gain to be had with the TB spacers, but I can have the spacer machined for less than $50 and save myself the money of having to buy a F-body water pump.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
I wonder if I could use a 3" throttle body spacer to get the clearance I need using the LS6 intake with the truck water pump neck since I have a DBW throttle body?

I know there isn't any performance gain to be had with the TB spacers, but I can have the spacer machined for less than $50 and save myself the money of having to buy a F-body water pump.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!!

I can't say for sure but 3" might clear.
At least it looks like it would looking at mine.
I think it's worth a shot and would definitely save some money and steps in the swap.
If you do this take some pics and post em up.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't mean to sound like a total ***, but why are we doing this, again..............

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 12-04-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Come Get Some!!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kano
I can't say for sure but 3" might clear.
At least it looks like it would looking at mine.
I think it's worth a shot and would definitely save some money and steps in the swap.
If you do this take some pics and post em up.
Right now I am still in the planning phase.

I have the intake, but that's about it,

I thought about the spacer idea yesterday, but I also started to worry if my intake setup will work if its spaced 3" farther forward, it'll be close or just won't work.

Another thing I am trying to figure out is what to do about my fuel rails and injectors. My end result goal is to be able to use a stock set of Corvette fuel rail covers.

Option 1: Reuse the stock truck (returnless) rail and truck injectors, but cut off the stock crossover tube and replace it with a piece of high-pressure hose with fuel injection clamps.

Option 2: Use an aftermarket fuel rail setup and reuse the stock truck injectors.

Thoughts?
Old 12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, all I can say is looking down from the top where the boss for the truck WP neck would be and holding a tape up to it...it looks like 3" would clear pretty easy.
but, I'm not positive
I remember with mine it was always the side of the TB that would hit the neck.
What I would do if I were going to go that route, and before I spent the $$$ having a spacer fabbed up, would be, get everything hooked up, then space the TB out with some long bolts, cut off pipe, washers whatever to see what youre looking like. Then go from there.

On the fuel rails, i think the vette rail covers will work....again not sure, but I think I remember someone having the vette covers on while using the truck rails.
I also remember someone cutting the crossover pipe and putting fittings on and running a braided line across.
As far as aftermarket F Rails, i havent seen any thats made to work with the shorter truck injectors, which means option 1 or 2 you will still have to modify for height.
Opt 1 would be cheaper.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am doing a Ls2 to truck engine swap! Great right up! I want to copy your ideler relocation bracket! Any dimensions on it? Also I am conpused as to where the PVC valve and lines go to?? The LS2 intake hasa line on the passenger side just before the throttle body, I have a port on the back of my drivers side valve cover and one on the front of my passenger valve cover, how do they all get connected?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

no before and after result data yet???
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by flippindabird
no before and after result data yet???
yes, i have before and after data. the ls6 intake swap is a complete waste of time and money. dont do it! the truck manifold matches/possbly exceeds the LS6 manifold. the only reason to do a ls6 manifold swap on these engines is if you swapped it into something that the big ugly truck manifold wont fit into.

now that fast has the 102mm manifold for trucks (lsxrt) it's possibly cheaper and definately easier to swap to that intake.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
yes, i have before and after data. the ls6 intake swap is a complete waste of time and money. dont do it! the truck manifold matches/possbly exceeds the LS6 manifold. the only reason to do a ls6 manifold swap on these engines is if you swapped it into something that the big ugly truck manifold wont fit into.

now that fast has the 102mm manifold for trucks (lsxrt) it's possibly cheaper and definately easier to swap to that intake.

lol thats what i always thought for the longest time. but, i was intrigued by this idea as the LS6 dissipates heat more efficientlty but for the cash outlay i didnt think it was worth the 10-15 possible HP gain
Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

explain how a ls6 intake dissipates heat more efficiently... i dont see how that is possible.

Quick Reply: LS6 Intake Swap