Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ls6 intake swap on a 6.0l

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls6 intake swap on a 6.0l

Well, I finally started the LS6 intake swap on my 2002 production engine 6.0L. So far I have 11 pictures, more to follow. Sorry for the long post, but I feel you should have sufficient detail. Also, PM me with any questions. Intake, fuel rails and injectors were removed from a 2002 TransAm WS6 Ramair. PCM and harness are from a 2000 F-Body. Throttle body is a BBK 80mm. Idler relocation bracket and belt are from Speartech. Water pump was modified with info from YELO. Bigtex provided the location for storing the photos. Purpose of this swap is to improve the appearance of the engine, it will eventually be installed in my 1955 Belair convertible and mated to a modified 200-4R transmission. O.K. here goes nothing. Picture 1 shows the Speartech bracket installed and the alternator bracket un-modified. .
Picture 2 shows the area( highlighted in black) that needs to be removed to allow clearance for the TPS and cable ]
Pictures 3 and 4 show the alternator bracket with the area removed. I used a sawzall, and I removed a large amount of the bracket to ensure I didnt have to repeat this step. I then polished the rough edges, dont want anything chafing wires.

Pictures 5 and 6 show the throttle body installed and the clearance for the TPS and cable.

Pictures 7 and 8 show the water pump reinstalled after cutting down the outlet neck. I left about 3/4" of the old neck.

Pictures 9,10 and 11 show the idler pulley reinstalled and the completed mechanical work from different views.

Thats it for the first step. I will be posting additional pictures showing the rubber outlet hose and belt installation. Problems I still have to resolve are: inlet to fuel rail interferes with the #5 cylinder coil pack and the TV cable will not fit behind the rubber outlet hose and the throttle body lever. Probably will go with aftermarket fuel rails, but solving the TV cable issue may be a bit of a pain. Not insurmountable, only requires more money to resolve. After I get this mod finished, I have to figure out a fuel pump setup. The aftermarket fuel tanks (with the pump installed) for a 1955 are around $800 and that is outside my budget.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are the last 4 pictures of the swap. Picture 12 shows the completed swap with the serpentine belt installed.

Pictures 13 and 14 show the rubber hose ( from NAPA) installed.

Picture 15 shows the interference between the fuel rail input and the #5 cylinder coil pack.

Basically, it wasnt too difficult, would go easier if you were using an electronically controlled transmission. I read, in another thread, that the fuel rails from a 1997 Vette may fit, but these rails have a feed and return line,which I do not plan to use. I think for my application, a regulator, inline pump and some type of sump/pickup, in the fuel tank, will be the easiset route.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

I think you need the "http://" in front of the z71.net, in order to get that to work...
Old 01-24-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Definitely a cool setup. It sure is a tight fit with the water pump hose, plug for the TB connector, the belt routing, and the intake tubing (not shown).

I was planning on doing the swap on my motor, but I'm up in the air at this point...
Old 01-24-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice write up, nice too see the pics too, how many trucks guys would try this if a package would be made up by a sponsor?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Default Excellent

this is an excellent post please keep up the post with anything new. This is exactly what i'm doing and your post has great knowledge for me.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the post and pics. Anybody have any real world numbers showing gains over the stock setup? If it puts down that much better numbers, looks like something I want to try out.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:48 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blacksheep did an LS6 intake swap a couple of years back and said it gained something like 20 rwhp and 4 tenths in the 1/4 over the truck intake. Do a search. I think I asked several questions about it and made a few posts on the subject.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by defiftyae
this is an excellent post please keep up the post with anything new. This is exactly what i'm doing and your post has great knowledge for me.
Recent changes to the plan. I purchased a set of FAST fuel rails, that eliminates the interference with the coil pack. John, at Speartech, is making a set of spacers for me ( Bigtex's idea) so that I can use the stock LS1 waterpump. You have to switch to an LS1 tensioner to get clearance for the pump outlet. I may not have mentioned it earlier, but I am planning on a 200-4R transmission and it needs a TV cable. As you can see fron the pictures, there is no way a TV cable will fit with the truck water pump outlet. This way, if a water pump fails, I just need to replace it with a stock LS1 pump. Downside is that you cant run a mechanical fan, you have to switch to electrics. This was my plan all along, so it was not a problem. I will post some more pics when I get the spacers installed. Weather is starting to improve up here so my priorities will soon be switching over to installing floor pans,etc in the convertible. Depending on the "honey do" list, I hope to get the body repaired and on a rotisserie by the fall so I can get to installing the engine and transmission in the frame. Who ever said retirement was a time for relaxing was dead wrong. I am more busy now than when I had to work for a living.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awsome work! Great info.
Thanks a lot.
Subscribing!

Quick Reply: Ls6 intake swap on a 6.0l