Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ls6 into silverado help??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 into silverado help??

new to this forum! need some help. while driving home from getting new tires finally my brother gets a call from a buddy who just got a $900 ticket and doesnt have a job, SCORE FOR ME! the guy just bought an 04 Z06 LS6 engine and it has everything but the harness, and exhaust manifolds. well i offered him a superlow ball price just for fun and he said if i scoop it up by monday its mine. so here i am after a few hours of research and not much info was gained, now i need help to know if its a pretty straight forward swap or not?

i have a 99 new body silverado 5.3 4x4. from what i have read its a simple swap and if it is that simple then i will buythe motor, if not i wont waste my time...but it will be sweet to open up the hood and see that puppy in there. ANY and all help will be appreciated or even links to better sites than what i have seen.

what i get with the motor
04 ls6 engine with all parts still attached
ls6 injectors
ls6 ecu idk what everyone calls them
ls6 coilpacks
no harness, but i think mine is a direct swap??

again any info or opinions would be appreciated!!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Three words. Jump in it!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its easy, swap the truck oil pan, and windage tray onto the LS6 and use the truck intake and acc drive, will also need to swap the truck crank pulley to the LS6. The engine harness for your truck will work fine with the LS6, Tuning the PCM would be best to see the maximum performance. Be prepared to use 93 octane on that engine though, even with several changes to my tune I still had detonation at WOT until I switched to 93 oct gas.

used the truck intake and acc drive with my swap.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:22 PM

i would still need to tune the pcm even if its the one from the corvette? after swapping windage tray and oil pan and crank pulley, is there any other things needed to swap it into the truck, trying to put together a list of things needed before i make any decisions. im sure what im paying for the motor the other stuff shouldnt matter, but the end total cost of the swap is my main focus..since its not needed my motor works fine but these type of deals dont happen very often. also you say to use the truck intake...why is that?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't use the Corvette PCM because it would not work with your truck without programing it. Truck intake because using the vette intake is not really possible, neck on the water pump interferes with the throttle body. Using the vette intake is possible but it will take some work.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 PM

what about swapping the brand new water pump from my 5.3 to the ls6 would that make it possible or is it the same one anyways? does this swap have any negatives, any at all? besides possibly gas which isnt a big deal since its not like i do well now haha
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS6 and 5.3 water pump is not the same, upper neck on the water pump is oriented differently. The truck power steering/alternator bracket would also interfere with the vette intake. Also the Vette uses a electronic throttle body and a 99 Silverado uses a cable throttle body.

On my truck I just used all the truck coils, injectors, and intake manifold and had the pcm tuned for the crate engine.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:03 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you want to you can use everything on the ls6 and drop it in the truck,BUT you will need a retune to run the different injectors.

The drive acc's (power steering,ac,water pump) are spaced differently from truck to car but either will work in the truck.
The car intake will work with truck acc's but you will have to move a pulley(plenty have done it)

Honestly buy it,there's nothing you have to modify to make it work just change some parts over
Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 PM

oh ok, just didnt know about loss of performance by using the truck parts ya know? i have read that the truck injectors can only put out upto 300hp or something like that...so if i get the coils and injectors along with the motor i might as well use them right? or is that going to come down to tuning? just use what i have with the truck since its what the pcm is programmed for?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 PM

sorry andrew 383 was in the middle of a reply when you were posting aswell. this american power stuff is all new to me there isnt huge forums with exact lists of things needed...used to play around building hondas( silly me) how would i go about moving a pulley? i really want to try and use as much from the ls6 as possible that way i can turn around and sell my 5.3 complete not torn apart and make this swap even cheaper

Quick Reply: ls6 into silverado help??