Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS6 Stuff for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking LS6 Stuff for my truck

OK so here it is, I am get a deal on and LS6 Heads/Cam/Intake with about 1500 miles from a friend of mine. Right now my truck is stock, in the mail is a built trans and a 3k Stall. Now, in the coming year I plan to do CAI, LTs, E-Fans, and ASP Pulley. Now here is my question, should I have the LS6 heads ported? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but my fear is that with the 5.3, the Z06 Cam, and the LS6 intake, if I port the heads I will lose to much bottom end for the 3k stall due to the small displacement of the engine. Anyone cares to offer up their opinions I am listening.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Injected1
OK so here it is, I am get a deal on and LS6 Heads/Cam/Intake with about 1500 miles from a friend of mine. Right now my truck is stock, in the mail is a built trans and a 3k Stall. Now, in the coming year I plan to do CAI, LTs, E-Fans, and ASP Pulley. Now here is my question, should I have the LS6 heads ported? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but my fear is that with the 5.3, the Z06 Cam, and the LS6 intake, if I port the heads I will lose to much bottom end for the 3k stall due to the small displacement of the engine. Anyone cares to offer up their opinions I am listening.
Cam would be ok. But leave the intake and heads alone. The cam will team great with the stall. LS6 cam has a fairly high LSA and tends to make power higher in the RPM band. I dont think the heads will be a great idea. They will induce a little bit of shrouding because of the smaller 5.3 bore. The 5.3 only has a 3.78" bore and the 2" valve in the LS6 heads is too big. Sell the heads and get a set of worked over 5.3 heads. Will be better in the long run.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well With A 3k Stall Depending On How Lose The Verter Is You Don't Have To Worry About Bottom End Just Make It Match.depending On The Year Of The Cam On What You Want If It Is 02 And Newer 3k Lose Would Work Realy Good.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

leave the heads stock ,pull the 5.3 send it to the machine shop have it bored for 5.7 pistons,balance it slap on H&C
Old 08-20-2005, 03:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
leave the heads stock ,pull the 5.3 send it to the machine shop have it bored for 5.7 pistons,balance it slap on H&C

Yeah, there is a budget issue there...would yall use the LS6 intake or keep the truck intake?
Old 08-20-2005, 09:42 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, there is a budget issue there...would yall use the LS6 intake or keep the truck intake?
Not from personal experience, but from what I've read here, the truck intake seems to be just as good as the LS6 intake. Seems that the LS6 makes a little more power over 6000 rpm, but the truck intake is actually better down low.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

The cost to port heads as you mentioned would be close to the cost of pulling the engine boring it and installing 5.7 slugs & balance the bottom end.That is if you can do the labor yourself.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bringing this thread to the top
would anyone recommend selling the LS-6 heads/intake for LT's, and Valve train???
Old 08-27-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Valvetrain? Do you have something different than your 5.3 valvetrain? Use the untouched Ls6 heads on your 5.3,bore the 5.3 add 5.7 hypertectic pistions,have the rotating assem. balanced.Use the truck intake.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0

You don't stop do you? A man asks a quesiton, and you offer something COMPLETELY different then what he is asking. Do you take the time to read a post BEFORE you comment? Or do you just offer useless info because you have nothing better to do??? The man wants to add heads, cam, and an intake to his motor.....and you offer back and tell him to rebuild his motor and bore it for 5.7 pistons......WTF!!!!!

Back on topic....
I would not port the heads, unless you plan on stepping up to make more power later, but inthe meantime, the ported heads with that combo will do you no good, same with the intake, truck is fine for what you are wanting. The LS6 cam for your truck will move the powerband up some, and you will lose some torque down low as well, and adding the intake and heads would only make it worse. I would stick inthe cam with the converter and trans...and see what you think about that, and go from there.

Quick Reply: LS6 Stuff for my truck