Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

lsa

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, please let me apologize for not reading the entire (3) pages of post (do not have the time right now). As you can see from my signature I have a cam in my truck. When I was researching my cam choice, the consensus was pretty narrow in my opinion. The popular cam for the 2wd truck crowd at the time was the venerable TR220. Most people I asked said that since I have 4WD it would be a dog down low. The popular 4WD cam is Comp's 212/218 cam but I wanted more. I contacted Patrick G (of LS1Tech fame) who has designed many cams for that crowd. I basically stated that I had a truck in which I daily drive, use as a truck from time to time, use 4wd in the winter months but wanted to have something to have some fun with. My goal was to make the power of the TR220 but have the powerband of the Comp 212/218. The cam he cam up with is as follow: 216/222 111+4 (XE Lobes) The cam gave a great improvment over stock with much improved performance in the midrange. Top end is better than stock but you can tell the cam favors the midrange. I do not believe much if any low end was lost. I think and honest 30 RWHP was gained with more to be extracted with a Wide Band/Dyno tune. Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 006rcsb
What exactly are you looking for.. A cam for your truck???
Old 03-01-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

i want to put a cam in but i was looking at the different variables and USING THE SEARCH BUTTON and couldnt really come up with anything that really suited me, i looked at the gt2-3 and gt7, i was considering the xr265 also but i was very unsure. not only that but i just picked up some ls6 springs from derek and i kinda wanted to use them, and i live in cali (smog). i just wanted something that made for a wide powerband that would be very streetable, and left fi an option later.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 006rcsb
i want to put a cam in but i was looking at the different variables and USING THE SEARCH BUTTON and couldnt really come up with anything that really suited me, i looked at the gt2-3 and gt7, i was considering the xr265 also but i was very unsure. not only that but i just picked up some ls6 springs from derek and i kinda wanted to use them, and i live in cali (smog). i just wanted something that made for a wide powerband that would be very streetable, and left fi an option later.
Hmm..i am no cam expert but something around the 212/218 115+ LSA might be good for you since FI is an option for the future. You need to call comp or Thunder racing and see what they say for your needs..
Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Did you read over this thread that nicD started about the XR265?
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=435536
Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now that my brain hurts... this is a pretty useful and well explained thread if i do say so.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by Parke10
now that my brain hurts... this is a pretty useful and well explained thread if i do say so.
X2. This is one of the most informative cam threads i've seen in a long while
Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by Cakes
First, please let me apologize for not reading the entire (3) pages of post (do not have the time right now). As you can see from my signature I have a cam in my truck. When I was researching my cam choice, the consensus was pretty narrow in my opinion. The popular cam for the 2wd truck crowd at the time was the venerable TR220. Most people I asked said that since I have 4WD it would be a dog down low. The popular 4WD cam is Comp's 212/218 cam but I wanted more. I contacted Patrick G (of LS1Tech fame) who has designed many cams for that crowd. I basically stated that I had a truck in which I daily drive, use as a truck from time to time, use 4wd in the winter months but wanted to have something to have some fun with. My goal was to make the power of the TR220 but have the powerband of the Comp 212/218. The cam he cam up with is as follow: 216/222 111+4 (XE Lobes) The cam gave a great improvment over stock with much improved performance in the midrange. Top end is better than stock but you can tell the cam favors the midrange. I do not believe much if any low end was lost. I think and honest 30 RWHP was gained with more to be extracted with a Wide Band/Dyno tune. Just my 2 cents...
do you have your dyno graph? Can you get it?
Your cam is a great example of what the OP is trying to figure out. The duration on that is much smaller than what a cam that size would typically be.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

The truck has never been on the dyno. I am actually actively searching for someone/some company to put the truck on a dyno for tuning purposes. Like I said before I believe the cam gave me an honest 30 RWHP with my Wheatley mail order tune. Not knocking Charlie, but I think he would be the first to admit that mail order will only get you in the ball park. I have some slow speed issues such as surging that I would like edited out as well as I feel there is more left in the tune but I think a Wide Band and WOT tuning would be needed. If I remember correctly my DCR (with stock 9.5:1 compression) is 7.77, which is more than the venerable TR220. If I were 006rcsb, I would seriously consider contacting Patrick Guerra and give him your information and let him spec a cam for you. It would be much better matched to your setup and probably make the combo match better. If I had to do it again I would go with more duration, tigher seperation and more aggressive lobe design. Its a disease...

Quick Reply: lsa