Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LSNext Blocks have arrived @ SDPC!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LSNext Blocks have arrived @ SDPC!!!

We have received a large shipment of the newest LS block available. This is the Dart Machinery LSNext block. We have not yet started a build with one of these, but we are excited to get to work on one soon.

Here are some pictures of one that's in stock here, as well as some highlights from Dart. At the bottom you'll find part numbers and pricing. We don't yet have more oil pan spacers or block completion kits in stock for pictures, as we have shipped what we received to customers already. I will come back and update with those as soon as we get the next shipment.

Dart’s LS Next block is the first significant change in the architecture of the LS engine platform. By eliminating the “Y-block” design and utilizing conventional style main caps and oil pans, Dart has addressed the problems resulting from the LS engine’s separated crankcase bays. Windage is greatly reduced, resulting in increased power along with a much stronger main web area.

Features:

Dart’s LS Next block is cast in the USA with premium cast iron alloy

Conventional style 4-bolt steel main caps with 7/16” bolts are used

Full main webbing for maximum bottom end strength

Cylinder barrels are extended by .375” at the bottom, providing greater piston support for all combinations

9.240” deck height, with options of 9.450" are available which allows for a possible effective barrel length of 9.825” deck block

Extra thick Siamese cylinder bores allow for large displacement capacity, and a max bore size of at least 4.200”

A 5/8” thick full deck design with a 9.240” deck height

Six head bolts per cylinder provide secure clamping for power adder applications

Head bolts are upgraded to 7/16” for increased strength

Blind head bolt holes don’t go through into the water jacket

Provision for oil restrictors in the lifter valley • Revised low restriction priority main oiling system

Pro-Stock / Pro-Mod big block style stepped main oil galley

An external oil filter must be used with stock or aftermarket oil pumps

Dual starter mounts

The water jacket on the #1 cylinder has been expanded for additional cooling capacity

LSX style lifter bosses and dog bone provision are provided

You'll notice some "odd" differences from what you're used to. Older SBC guys won't find most of this odd and will recognize some things. You might also have some questions, which are quite welcome.

You'll notice the different cam retainer plate

Water jackets are revised.

You aren't running stock lifter guides in this block. LSX guides or tire bars.

These have press in freeze plugs.

The barbell hole is plugged.

This will use stock front and rear covers.

We know how the stock block and parts handled all of the passages under the covers. We will have to get the completion kit in here to see what Dart does in those areas. Especially with the deletion of the stock cam retainer that connected the two front oil passages.

There is no provision for a Gen 3 cam sensor. You will have to run the Gen IV front cover and sensor.

There is no passage that supplies oil to the stock location in the valley cover for the oil pressure sensor. There might be a passage you could drill into, we are not certain at this time. You may have to run the sensor in an alternate location.

Note the pads for a starter on either side of the block.

Block with 4.100 bore = Dart 31837111 $2469.95 with free shipping
Block with 4.125 bore = Dart 31837211 $2469.95 with free shipping
Block completion kit = Dart 32000016 $129.95
Oil pan rail adapters = Dart 62230001 $329.95
Moroso LSNext oil pan = 20144 $534.99
Required pickup tube for that pan = 24144 $129.95
Old 08-30-2013, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading about this one on the bullet about a year ago and it should prove to be a game changer. Nice to see they came through with it. Will be awesome to see what the real power potential of a max effort build with something like this. Decent price point as well.

Mike
Old 08-30-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no college educated engineer but personally I liked the LS style main caps better. But these look huge and sure they'll be just fine.. But I'd spray the crap out of it..
Old 08-30-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read a decent bit about this block and understand a lot of the differences... but, simply speaking, why should I get this one over a LSX or whatever is already available... (hypothetically speaking)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
I'm no college educated engineer but personally I liked the LS style main caps better. But these look huge and sure they'll be just fine.. But I'd spray the crap out of it..
Why do you like the LSX main better? Just because it has the side bolts?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Why do you like the LSX main better? Just because it has the side bolts?
That and how the mains bolt down inside the block and not on top like an sbc block. To me the ls block has more support in that area. But what do I know.. I'd still Rick one tho
Old 08-30-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason they shy'd away from the LS mains was because of the windows above the side bolts. They claimed it was the reason for block flex. Thats why they splayed the mains to keep solid contact on all parts of the caps. I'm no expert either but it makes sense and looks bad ***