Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ltft bank 1 very lean/backfire pops and no codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ltft bank 1 very lean/backfire pops and no codes

So a few days ago i noticed a rapping in my motor (the 2004 listed in sig) , I took the truck to the shop that rebuilt the motor and they felt it was a stuck lifter due to oil and the build being so new. Fast forward to today. I started to pull away and the truck was hesitating a bit and bucking not bad but enough to notice. Thought it was cold (its snowing here) Put more of a load on it and it started to pop pop pop in the muffler. Like an unburnt fuel. Then it started to rap intermittently. I went to the local parts store and got some Preston Riesling in hopes to free up a possible stuck lifter. The lifters are the original before you ask, i know they should have been replaced but this is what I am dealing with. I also checked for bad plugs and connections, all the injectors are firing from what I can feel. I took it down the road and the noise was gone but under normal load it still shook, when I punched it it would open up but a definite loss of power. Then I noticed my ltft bank one is very lean. Normally I run =/- 2 cruising on both sides. Now at idle in gear i am +18 on bank one and +1 on bank two. My o2's are bouncing fine and I am not reading any codes. Oh I am using the droid app Torq scan. It doesn't appear to be a vacuum leak and my oil pressure is good. I have not pulled the plugs or checked for compression. Id feels like I am down a cylinder but I am not seeing signs of it other then my fuel trims

I am at a loss and I don't want to destroy what I have put into my motor.

I have searched all morning to find something. I can not send you any logs I can only read data.

Thank you in advanced for your help
Old 12-14-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bad injector? pull the plugs.

use a temp gun on the manifolds to see what cylinder is colder than the others
Old 12-14-2013, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Don't have a gun but I pulled all the plugs on bank one and did a compression test. All cylinders were at 148-155. The last cylinder on the drivers side up against the fire wall plug was bent down. Swapped it. Fired it up. Let it idle for a min. A few taps to the pedal and the intermittent rap came back. I shut it down and here I sit. Waiting. This motor oy has 4000 miles on it. Three oil changes with oil not synth. Third set of plugs jist for break in and new tunes. I'm at a loss.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Its running now and the knocking is gone for the most part.but its still running like crap. When I rev it runs more lean on bank one. The only thing I have done is fill up yesterday. Could bad gas do this? Could I have a bad injector, how can I tell, what else should i look for or do?

Update:: The trims are now +/- 2 on my long terms and its not popping. Idle and timing at idle are normal. It still is rough not real bad but a vibration under 2000k rpms. The snow makes it hard to go wot but it feels like the power is there i am just worried about the rough driving down low and the idle. It just feels off. Its not a placebo effect either. It almost feels like a bad u joint vibration but from the block.

Last edited by gbbmk; 12-14-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Well I think, not sure but I think since my combustion chamber is smaller I hit the pkug with the piston. I am running tr5's but the builder said autolite 104 or 103 for nitrous. I guess the ngks are that much longer. That could have been the rapping I heard and why after the new set of plugs I am still getting a vibration similar to a burnt wire. It fires but not well.

Whoever is reading ill update.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Bump I'm still stumped and I swapped a coil. Still runjing rough. Burning fuel and blittle blue smoke. Great oil preassure and oil levels are good.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

Where's your short fuel trims they are more important to find an issue then the longs as the longs are just an avg. I had a 2500 van had a similar problem no codes but ended up being the o2 sensor.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that "Lean" can be either "Not enough fuel" or "Unburnt Fuel".

If you found a plug bent down then it means someone most likely crossthreaded the plug in the head. You might want to check them all as a crossthreading will cause all sorts of issues and it pretty much requires a competent machine shop to fix. (competent shops don't reuse old lifters, too many risks involved for too small a price)