Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LT's=problems ever since

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:03 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT's=problems ever since

alright so im almost regretting doing the LT install.. ever since i got it completed there have been problems. be it concerning the LT's or not i still notice. heres my list of beefs with my truck at the moment
1. under medium to heavy throttle there are back fires
2. when the torque converter locks up at low MPH i.e. 40-55 there is violent jerks and vibration and a little vibration 60+ be it all only locked up acceleration
3. my "check engine oil" light just came on and the oil level wasnt even touching the "operating temperature" part of the stick so i dumped 3qts in there. this is from every few starts there is a great pploomb(sp?) of blue/grey smoke form the xhaust i think its the valve seals... weird though only happen upon ignition and doesnt smoke when driving
4. i was in a quite a bit of traffic and ALL my temps started to climb, with the a/c on 1 and the efans on high, just stopped and idling in traffic my trans temp climbed and pegged out right at 250 and my coolant levels jumped up to 240.
5. at idle, when temperatures are high or something, my SES light starts to blink but it turns off once i start moving more than like 20mph so i dunno WTF is up with that but im putting a 30000GVW trans cooler on order now
6.and finally im pretty sure my carrier bearing is quitting on me now so im definitly putting some 2*shims on the beast

so thats my beefs with my truck at the moment, anyone looking for someone who has experienced overheating with the LT1/LS1 fans, well here i am.

now i need to know how expensive it is to replace valve seals or would it be better to just drive around with a case of oil in the truck. also, what level does the check engine oil light come on? autozone guy said like 1.5-2 qts remaining. if so, that sucks. im hoping most, if not all of this stuff can be tuned out when adjusting for the LT's being that ALL of it started once the LT install was complete except for the oil smoking problem im having whihc originated after my 2nd cam swap about a month ago.
sorry for the long post but i need to vent. ive already told my mom for christmas i wanted a crotch rocket...she said no.

Last edited by 1ImperialSS; 08-08-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

that sounds like alotta suck man hope you get 'er straightened out. lotta **** from LT's aint it? didnt get mad and start thrashin tryin to make em fit did ya? jk
Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You hit your head eight times in this thread!!

Think it is time for a 6.0L swap??!!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Have you had it retuned since putting them on? If not, then that's one problem that may solve a few.

I can't image how installing LTs would cause you to start losing oil.

I've had a LS1 w/ TR220 before and now a 11.5:1 LQ9 and neither have had any kind of overheating problems with the LT1 fans. I am running a 180* thermostate and right now my temps stay around 185-190*.

EDIT: btw, after swapping in both the LS1 & LQ9 I also had a major oil consumption problem as well. Turns out it was the pcv system sucking in oil the whole time, even with a (cheap) catch can it would go through about 2-3 quarts in about a month or two.
After completely removing the pcv and installing breathers about a month ago I have not used any oil.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:48 PM

i honestly am but i have like 650$ in the bank at the moment and the first day of college is the 28th of august so im running a little shy on time and money. my parents support my addictio with love but not the $$$ needed to keep it going.

so do yall think most of these problems could be tuned out? im already raising the PMW duty cycle to get some of the jerking out, if thats what it is. shims are like 20$ and a cooler is only 50$ so i should be ok in those departments but i really want to get rid of the back fire. i havent even gone WOT yet because it kjust goes pop pop. and im pretty sure im screwed on the oil consumption because it drank about 4qts in about a month. (9) do you guys think i can get some of this tuned out? what should i do to be wise with the money, im gonna start a jar called the 6.0 fund and keep it in my room or something and everytime i have cash im gonna put it in there.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Re-read my last post, left an edit in there for ya.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 PM

thanks man, i posted mine while you were posting yours so i didnt even see it. how do you do away with the whole PCV system and the breathers? will you step by step PM it to me or is it a major endeavor to complete? sounds cool though i dunno why swapping from an LS6 to this cam would cause these problems though. weird. no i havent gotten it tuned for the LT's yet, im doing that with charlie friday night or saturday afternoon. he's in for a treat. im thinkin the over heating issue came about because idling and stop and go heated up the trans temp and it still runs through the stock trans cooler before hitting my current 22000GVW so that inturn probably heated up the coolant circulating through the combimned radiator cooling unit and a snowball effect was underway.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:06 PM
.T.
TECH Resident

My .02 is post this over on Tech. There's the best knowledge base available to you over there and most of the guys don't ever come over to the "truck" section.
Wish I had your answers bro.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 PM

i just posted that under LS1 etc internal engine but said for the mdos to move it wherever it needed to be. hopefully ill get some god responses. charlie said he's never seen backfiring from the LT's what else could be causing this?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

All I did was buy a cheap small breather from autozone and attach it to the rear driver side valve cover pcv valve.
Then I bought a Metco breather from Thunder Performance that screws into the oil fill cap.
I then capped off the vacuum line on top of the intake manifold and plugged the line coming from the passenger side valve cover that goes to the TB and cap the line on the TB.

This thread has everything in it that I did. Look at post 5 & 15.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...light=breather

Quick Reply: LT's=problems ever since