Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LT's=problems ever since

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont back fires indicate a lean condition? Can headers cause a lean condition? Do you have an intake leak? I would eliminate one issue at a time. Could be other things going on that just happened to occur in the same time period.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i sure as hell hope it wouldnt be like that. no one has messed with my intake. im pretty sure that part of the motor has been left untouched. seems awfully weird that all these problems except the oil thing happened after the headers. could this be caused by messed up front o2's? maybe the heat from the welder got them? or the fact that they were only about 8 inches from natural air when they were open header? i wonder how much all this is going to cost me...
Old 08-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if the front o2's are bad or even 1 of them yeah it will run like crap,I do not see how that hurt them any.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 PM

hm, at this point i just want to know what is wrong with it. its like being super sick and the doctors can only say "hm this is awful but we have NO idea..." charlie, i guess we wil l just have to see what the deal is and what your laptop says. at this point im pretty glad that i was planning on getting tuned this week.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

None of your plug wires poped off did they? Just an idea........
Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 AM

it could actually be a bad connection because when iw as removing the plug wires, the metal thing inside the boot that connected the plug tip to the wire came off on 3 of them and a tried to push this metal piece back into the boot and it never went in all the way back to normal so 3 cylinders could be getting a bad spark. tomorrow morning im going to replace the taylors with my stock ones and hopefully that helps. maybe ill have a new set of 10.4's on the way out. i dunno why they just came apart like that though. i used the sylicone elec. connector stuff. maybe not enough o well ill check hopefully that will be the good easy fix for my problems.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

sounds like you do need to replace the plugs or wires like you are saying...good luck....
Old 08-09-2006, 02:22 AM

update, i replaced my effed up taylor wires with the stock ones and the truck runs a whole lot better. drove it about medium throttle and it didnt feel like it was going to pop or back fire whereas before it felt like that with very light throttle. i revved it to 3500 in neutral and it was fine. i mashed the gas and once it down shifted and the rpms jumped it went "puhp pop pop"(lack of back pressure??) i immediatly let off the throttle so i dunno if a back fire keeps on popping if i kept on the gas or if the fumes would combust that one time and then everythign would just flow out like normal BUT it wasnt nearly as bad as it was before. i didnt get a chance to drive it all the way until lock up but hopefully most of the problem was fixed due to the plug wires and now there are just minor tuning and afr issue to deal with. if you have a back fire issue, how do you fix it? if it back fires when you first mash the gas, will it only happen at that moment or will it keep back firing until you let off? i guess what im tryign to say is if i floored it, it popped once, woudl it be safe to keep on the gas WOT?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust

Followed your lt install thread. You ever get that y-pipe / exhaust grafted back on? If not could thinking this would casuse some of your loud cracklin / backfires.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
1. under medium to heavy throttle there are back fires
A lot of this would be your wire problems, which you seem to have fixed, the rest of it could be a tuning issue. I don't really know.

2. when the torque converter locks up at low MPH i.e. 40-55 there is violent jerks and vibration and a little vibration 60+ be it all only locked up acceleration
There shouldn't be a voilent jerk and the LTs are not causing this. Is the vibration something you hear or something you feel. If it is something you hear, then your LTs are probably banging on something. Look for tight tolerances, that's probably where it is coming from. You need at least a 1/4 inch clearance or you might get an audible vibration under load - such as when the TCC locks up at low speed.

3. my "check engine oil" light just came on and the oil level wasnt even touching the "operating temperature" part of the stick so i dumped 3qts in there. this is from every few starts there is a great pploomb(sp?) of blue/grey smoke form the xhaust i think its the valve seals... weird though only happen upon ignition and doesnt smoke when driving
Definitely sounds like valve seals. If you can replace springs, you can replaced seals.

4. i was in a quite a bit of traffic and ALL my temps started to climb, with the a/c on 1 and the efans on high, just stopped and idling in traffic my trans temp climbed and pegged out right at 250 and my coolant levels jumped up to 240.
One of your fans is not working, most likely the a/c fan. Check out both fans, fuses, relays and wiring.

5. at idle, when temperatures are high or something, my SES light starts to blink but it turns off once i start moving more than like 20mph so i dunno WTF is up with that but im putting a 30000GVW trans cooler on order now
Check the codes.

6.and finally im pretty sure my carrier bearing is quitting on me now so im definitly putting some 2*shims on the beast
Can't help you here, but sounds like you know what you need to do.

Quick Reply: LT's=problems ever since