Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LT's=problems ever since

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:32 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not today i dont but im going to get it tuned on saturday evening so that should let me know if my o2's are up to par or if anything else is going on, the only this thats touching my headers are a couple of the plug boots but not the wire itself so i should be alright there until i get new wires again
Old 08-09-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
haved you ever had your truck backfire? thats my main concern now and i will see if we can tune it out. it hasnt been tuned at all for the LT's yet so maybe it will help
my brother-in-law's truck backfires at WOT with his Pacesetter LTs. i was thinking that he needed a tune to get rid of it. he hasn't gotten one. he said that his SES light came on but i can't remember what the code was. he said that it would go away after awhile when he was driving but would come back on if he was driving up hill. i know it had to do with something about the block not getting up to temp. and of course the code for the rear o2 sensors.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a note from experience, before trying to pull off any plug wires from the plugs, make sure you can twist them 180 degrees. If you don't twist them to break them loose and you try to pull beforehand, the guts will come out and you are screwed. If you break em loose by twisting it should be a lot easier. That being said, I still kept my remaining good ones just in case I run into a similar problem the next time.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

How many miles did you drive with only the LTs on(open headers)? This can't be good for the engine! I bet this is what f-up you seals and maybe your head gasket, plus you running so rich might have washed the cyinder walls. I thought you should not drive with open headers very long. I could be wrong, just have not read any on this yet. Thought I should bring it up.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1TRUESS
How many miles did you drive with only the LTs on(open headers)? This can't be good for the engine! I bet this is what f-up you seals and maybe your head gasket, plus you running so rich might have washed the cyinder walls. I thought you should not drive with open headers very long. I could be wrong, just have not read any on this yet. Thought I should bring it up.
Umm no. The only thing running open header that he has to worry about is burning a valve.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK that is what it was! Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1TRUESS
OK that is what it was! Thanks for clearing that up.
Yeah when the lt has an open collector cool air can rush up to the valves too quick and with "cold" air hitting the extremely hot valve it can crack/fracture it and well you guess what happens next.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 PM

yea well i dont think that happened to me, it wasnt open collector either, i had put the drivers side elbow on and put about 8 inches of tubing ont he passenger side so those exact problems woudlnt happen. and about the twisting thing, too little too late ha ha, i already ripped the guts out and now my stupid credit card isnt working even though its no where near its max so im waitong for that to be taken care of them im ordering 2* shims, new Taylor wires and a 30000 GVW trans cooler to get the temps a little lower, still trying to decide if i want to put it inline with my current 22000 or if i want to replace it. in line i think it might keep things too cool if at al possible but i dinno, ill see. after i got tuned for my cam in June, owen deleted my rear o2's knowing LT's would be next, and ill be getting it tuned for the LT's this saturday. how does the block not get up to temp?? coolant temps register what theyve always been? glad to hear that im not the only one with back fires and everything i just hope theyll be tuned out or whatever.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:38 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure that a rocker didn't come loose after the cam swap, plugs are cleaned and gapped to specs,and that all electrical connections on coils and oxygen sensors are tight. Also, make sure that you do not have a vaccum leak. I was in the same boat you are in now so I know that it feels like **** spending alot of money and end up losing performance and drivibility. I changed out my plugs like 4 times, tried different ones, replaced oxygen sensors, fuel regulator, injectors, and still couldn't figure out what was wrong. It wasn't until I was going to install a smaller cam that my mechanic found that he didn't tighten a rocker well enough and it came loose. After that was fixed my oil consumption problem and smoke were eliminated and performance improved greatly. I only had one backfire but that was before the truck was tuned for the headers. Good luck on fixing your truck and keep us updated.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 PM

i certainly will, i cant imagine ARD not doing the cam install correctly but it may have something to do with the oil consumption but it didnt feel like it was lacking in performance and the dyno numbers after cam didnt show anything shady like that. how do you clean the plugs? the only one i removed had some oil on the threads but the rest of it like the spark area was clean and fine, ill check the gaps though. i will check all the connections on my coil packs as well. i know my o2's are tight and hopefully they are working correctly but if they arent the tune and logging on saturday would hold that truth. if the tune doesnt help im going to look into the rear vette o2's being used as the front ones and stuff. to initialy try to diagnose the oil consumption im going to delete the PCV system like Zick has suggested. it helped him out. im very anxious to get the truck tuned for the headers and hopefully most of my problems will either be fixed or made clear in the tune.

...so where were all you people who have had hell with the LT's when i was asking about them and stuff? ha ha i only heard good things until i had my problems and started asking questions.

Quick Reply: LT's=problems ever since