Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

which LTs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which LTs?

So im looking to get some LTs and was looking at the LPP ones. i have a 2000 silverado 5.3L NBS. my current mods are just a cold air intake. after the headers i want to get it tuned by black bear but i was wondering if it was possible to still run the stock cats and also which LTs should i run?

i was also wondering what sized primaries i should run? i know if you go too big you loose scavenging and i dont want to do that. my truck is a work truck so i still would like to have low end torque. i want to run LTs because i know you can make more torque which is really what im after.

also i live in Cali so ill need to pass smog(i dont care about visual just the sniffer) do you think this would be possible?

i know bassani makes mid tubes that are completely legal but the LTs are so much better and less money too
Old 08-26-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

1 3/4 primaries if NA, 1 7/8 if FI. Texas speed has a good deal on the coated pacesetters im running. I think it was headers and y pipe for under 600.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Glad someone started this topic, i was getting ready to ask the samething about LT's for my 02 Silverado with 5.3L and full LT's for under $600 isnt that bad compared to some of the others ive seen.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I think LPP is around that price too but they are not coated. How well does stainless take to a coating?

I really want to keep engine bay temps down so I was gunna coat them and then maybe even wrap them with that header wrap to bring it down more. Will thus hurt the headers at all or will they be fine with the extra heat?

I think I saw a tread on here saying 2.5" collector is the way to go but nothing about the primarys. So you say 1 3/4" is the way to go to help scavenging?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Been looking for headers for the 6.2 in my 2011. With all the brands out there what is the biggest thing to look for when it comes time to buy?

Wanting to do a y pipe with no cats into the factory piping.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

The LPP's are really nice headers for the money. A lot of success with them on the other forums. Since you are in Cali you will need cats no way around it. These are not 50 state legal. Any exhaust shop can fab up a y pipe for you with hi flow cats. Since the headers are stainless there is no need to coat them or wrap them. Also you will want to check as these headers do not have provisions for AIR or EGR. The EGR is easy enough to disconnect and have plugged off in the intake and tuned out. Try looking over at gmfullsize.com. Tons of threads on these headers. If you aren't planning on doing anything radical you can always go for the Ebay OBX knock off headers. Got mine for 319.99 shipped and work great and fit great as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Is there any way to run stock cats? Also why is there no purpose to run coated? Does stainless keep the heat down that well?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

From what I've seen in other threads, and I finally got to look at mine on the lift this week, no, can't use stock cats. Basically, they are right up under the manifolds, so all of this is replaced with the long tubes. A new y pipe with cats will replace/relocate them slightly lower to make room for the headers.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Does the new y pipe come with cats?

I'm just wondering what's stopping from cutting the old cats off and welding them on the new y pipe? I know the stock cats are bigger and I haven't seen how much room you get with the LTs installed but I can't imagine it can't be done.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:33 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're only planning on doing the headers, and no other internal engine work such as a cam or heads, you'd probably be better off with 1 5/8" primaries, but if you do go with 1 3/4" primaries, you should keep the collectors and y-pipe to 2.5", or you will give something up down low. My 5.3 and baby cam actually works very well with my current 1 3/4" primaries, but I have smaller 2.5" collectors and empty catted y-pipe.

Being in Cali though, you're really strapped as to what you can do...if you get stopped at a spot smog check with those LT's on there, I believe that you'll be in for a big fine

Quick Reply: which LTs?