Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

as&m ceramic coating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default as&m ceramic coating?

I have heard a while back about AS&M's ceramic coatings not being very good. Rusting and stuff like that after a short time??

I want to buy a set but don't want a cheap coating. Does anyone know if they fixed this problem with the coating? Also can you all who have these headers to reply back about the condition of you ceramic? Thank you. Just want to make the right descision. I was thinking about TOGs but I figured the long tubes made more hp than mid-length.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:40 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Default Re: as&m ceramic coating?

I went with asm,I thought they would be the best.I put them on when the motor went back in{had jba no problems just short}well the asm's hit the steering shaft, even after modifying the nut & bolt. The right side leaks on three ports{double ultra seal gaskets} .I talked to asm they are sending new ones,hopfully these will be better.You're right about the coating.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Headers ASM are starting to rust
Pissed off spent all that cash on them and they put a shitty coating on them
now i have to rip em out and get them re-coated

jim
Old 05-11-2003, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone else had any problems? What's up with this fitting thing?? Steering shaft in the way? I am getting worried now.

I would like any input on people who have or know someone who has a set of The Other Guys Headers. I would rather get these, but I am scared of a loss of horsepower over the ASMs. Would anyone have horsepower gains for TOGs vs. ASMs?

Reason for me asking is the TOGs look bulletproof! I know they are a little more money for ceramic but it has got to be better than all of these claims about ASMs half-*** ceramic job! Also the ASM have the o2 sensor on the header or the collector correct?? Do the TOGs have the o2 sensor on them or do you have to put them on the pipe next to the flange on the cat side?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

ttt
Old 05-12-2003, 07:27 AM
Launching!

Everyone that I know that has them has had to modify that bolt. It's not a big deal but if you don't it will scratch the coating off.
Lar
Old 05-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Moderator / Sponsor

Well i don't have any "real" numbers to support how many people have recieved the defective ones compared to those who have not. Remember here you you probably only hear of the bad not the good experiences.

I have had mine for almost two years ... the finish is great but my only issue was clipping the steering shaft bolt flap...took a whole 5 seconds. I use factory style gaskets only and have never had issues...i torqued them once and never bothered with them to this day.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The finish on my ASMs is perfect after a year on the truck.No complaints at all.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:52 PM
10 Second Truck Club

I took the 5 seconds to clip the bolt flap.Not good enough,ground the nut & bolt head almost in half not good enough.Last night put on factory style gaskets, still leaks!Must have been made on friday afternoon.