Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

AS&M LT Header Guys--Come In.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AS&M LT Header Guys--Come In.

I am going to be obtaining a used, but it great shape of ASM LT's soon, like next week. I have been thinking out my exhaust setup and how to do it, and all, I want to definitely use cats, so I was originally going to use my stock y-pipe but just modify it. However, I just recently found a place locally where I can get mandrel bent parts custom bent and stocked. I am thinking that I might want to buy all the mandrel bends, use the stock cats off my stock y-pipe and mount them on the mandrel y-pipe, and then flange it all up on the backside of the y-pipe for ease of tranny removal. Still thinking of going true duals with 2.5" all the way from headers back, into a custom x-pipe which I already have, into dual cutouts which I already have, and then into a magnaflow 4x9x11" dual in/dual out muffler, dumped. I know me, won't be running through the muffler much, so no since in getting 2 magnaflows, and these dual in/out units flow good too, I've used one before.

But what I am looking for is some pics of how the collectors on the ASM's drop. I had these headers on my crew cab, but never really took any pics that were worth a crap to help me out right now. I figure I can buy all the bends, tubing and 02 bungs, flanges, turndowns, and the muffler, and bring it to the shop up here on a weekend, have one of our knowledgable welders meet me up here and do the entire custom install.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:34 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can get you some pics of the headers bolted to the motor out of the truck if that would help...
Old 04-19-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thunder550
I can get you some pics of the headers bolted to the motor out of the truck if that would help...

Anything would help at this point. I just wanna try and plan it out as much as posible. Mainly I just can't remember how the collectors come out, straight or at an angle. I'm just wanting to make sure there are no compound bends that need to be made for the catted mid-pipes to cross over the transmission & crossmember and such. Once the mid-pipes meet after the crossover on the passenger side, its all good, I've got that all figured out.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:50 PM
High on diesel fumes

Ok I'll take some when I get home this afternoon.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
High on diesel fumes

Ok here ya go, hope these help a little bit...

Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Dude you rock. Thats exactly what I needed to see. Thanks, a bunch.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 AM
High on diesel fumes

Glad I could help
Old 04-20-2006, 09:38 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep your stock Y-pipe in its original condition. Someday you'll want to put it back to stock. You'll be happier not having to spend more money on exhaust work to put it back just so you can sell the truck.

Use the prebent mandred pipes. Buy a set of high flow cats to use with them. Then you won't need to cut up any of your stock exhaust parts. It will cost a little more money now but you'll be happier in the long run.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigTex
Keep your stock Y-pipe in its original condition. Someday you'll want to put it back to stock. You'll be happier not having to spend more money on exhaust work to put it back just so you can sell the truck.

Use the prebent mandred pipes. Buy a set of high flow cats to use with them. Then you won't need to cut up any of your stock exhaust parts. It will cost a little more money now but you'll be happier in the long run.

Thats what I'm looking into. I have been looking at Grippy's header and exhaust setup, and really wanting to do something extremely clean like that. I want to look into those cats he's using more indepth, but just trying to get a feel of what I am looking at for all the mandrel parts. It would work out a hell of a lot easier for me to do all the mandrel pieces for sure, and I can have a welder here at the shop hook it all up for me. I don't necessarilly need the same cats as what moregrip is using though I don't think. Anyone got a line on some good high flowing cats that won't break the bank. I was originally looking at the dynatech powercats.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:10 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

powercats would be a good option.

I have my exhaust setup with ASM headers going to a custom pipes from mandrel tubing. Both sides meet in a X pipe then I have my cats after that. That gave me more room up fromt and lets the flow balance between the cats after the X.

http://z71.net/exh1.jpg
http://z71.net/exh2.jpg

Quick Reply: AS&M LT Header Guys--Come In.