Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Made a huge mistake in my exhaust mod. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He said on another forum that he used to be able to lay rubber for 50 feet or so from a dig, now it's nary a scratch. So it's not just SOTP, there is some real data that reinforces his claim that he's lost TQ.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TBSS
He said on another forum that he used to be able to lay rubber for 50 feet or so from a dig, now it's nary a scratch. So it's not just SOTP, there is some real data that reinforces his claim that he's lost TQ.

I'd like to have seen that in person...
Old 05-22-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
LOL! You really are all about the burnout aren't you!?!?!

It's really not back pressure you want in any exhaust system, it's scavenging you're really looking for. The dual 3" system isn't what you should have gone after for a low end torque hauler because the large diameter pipe allows way to much reversion at low flow (low RPM). Step it down to 2.5" pipes, at least off of the manifolds, and you should gain most of the low speed stuff back.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Teching In

With the increased airflow you've likely moved too far down the timing table to get a gain. Have the PCM fixed and you should be fine.
PCM fixed? Please explain. Whats the cost and is there any down side to this.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Put down a strip three telephone poles long from a dead stop in front of my house a few weeks ago. Now in all fairness I had just washed the truck so the tires were a little wet and it is a slight uphill grade. Once the smoke cleared and the neighbors stopped shaking thier heads I went up to a straight flat dry surface and preceeded to lay down a 50 foot strip. The truck is a 2003 Avalanche w/3:73's, K&N cold air intake and the Superchips tuner set at performance tow.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:58 PM
5 year bitches!

pewterssz has a 8.1 dually and his exhaust is stock up to the muffler then it is a 4" diesel muffler with tail pipe that truck pulled a 3 car hauler on the gooseneck down new orleans and never even knew it was back there. no tune and it sure sounded good. of did i forget to say it was a FLowmaster
Old 05-22-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Submariner
Put down a strip three telephone poles long from a dead stop in front of my house a few weeks ago. Now in all fairness I had just washed the truck so the tires were a little wet and it is a slight uphill grade. Once the smoke cleared and the neighbors stopped shaking thier heads I went up to a straight flat dry surface and preceeded to lay down a 50 foot strip. The truck is a 2003 Avalanche w/3:73's, K&N cold air intake and the Superchips tuner set at performance tow.
That Superchips programmer isn't really what you need. A custom tune will definately make the 8.1L wake up over that wimpy hand held.
I totally disagree with the guys stating that a dual exhaust set-up will not hurt low-end performance. I've done it in the past to my 2000 5.3L truck. It did hurt the low-end grunt from a in the SOTP feel. You will however pick up more upper mid and high rpm HP & TQ. But it's hard to feel that type of gain once your moving at high speeds in a truck.
I would give a custom tune a try first, but I still don't see more low end power coming back than what you use to have with the stock exhaust set-up. IMO. You will however feel what all the hype is about with custom tunes.
You will see the power in the mid and upper rpm ranges. That's where my LQ9 6.0L picked up more gains. The low-end power was still about the same.
Good Luck.

Jim
Old 05-22-2006, 10:41 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Originally Posted by Submariner
I retuned after the exhaust install and while that did make a difference I still lost power. I was under the impression I would gain power and torque with a duel setup. And yes I wanted the exhaust to be louder.
he said he already retuned after the exhaust....
Old 05-22-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that going with dual 3" was way overkill for a 340hp engine. You could just add some more mods to make use of your new exhaust.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

I agree that going with dual 3" was way overkill for a 340hp engine. You could just add some more mods to make use of your new exhaust.
I agree...I think a Whipple might be just the thing to cure him of his low-end problems.

Quick Reply: Made a huge mistake in my exhaust mod. What now?