Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Made a huge mistake in my exhaust mod. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Just a thought, but have you checked the state of the tune after the exhaust upgrade? It's entirely possible that the system is running very lean and that really hurts low end and mid range power. You may also find that a few more degrees of timing my bring back that low speed grunt.
Other than a real loud exhaust note, I'm not sure how low back pressure without headers will hurt your low end torque.

Richard
Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get Nelson to tune that beast. The 3/4 6.0L and 8.1 vehicles allready come with dual 3" exhaust into a dual in single out exhaust from the factory, I have seen it and measured it myself. It was on a 2500 van with the 6.0.

I bet adding an H-pipe before the cats will help gain back some of that loast low rpm torque.

In my 1997 rcsb when I installed the longtubes on my truck, I drove it without an exhaust for a little bit, it was a dog in the low rpms, but had some extra power up in the revs. When I installed the dual 2.5" exhaust and cats the low rpm torque returned.

Westers and Nelsons are seeing 30-60+ hp gains on the 8.1, get a proper PCM tune with TM removed and I bet it helps. If it not enough, try the h-pipe.
A custom PCM tune will have better drivability than a tuner for sure. i jhave been there, done that.

peace
Hog
Old 05-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the advice and ideas on how to spend my money guys but since I don't have 5g to spend on a supercharger and this is a daily driver / towing vehicle I really need the low end torque. BTW I have the H pipe installed. The other thought from reading all this is what if I just go to midas and have them bend a 2" or 2.5" system from the mufflers back exiting on the drivers side? Would that give me back my "Grunt".
Old 05-23-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're taking tongue in cheek comments too seriously, my friend. If you read the thread again, you'll see that the majority of people are recommending a tune. An in-person tune is the best thing you can do for a stock vehicle or one that has just a few minor mods. Major mods mean a tune is a necessity.

Where do you live?
Old 05-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TBSS
You're taking tongue in cheek comments too seriously, my friend. If you read the thread again, you'll see that the majority of people are recommending a tune. An in-person tune is the best thing you can do for a stock vehicle or one that has just a few minor mods. Major mods mean a tune is a necessity.

Where do you live?
Nope not at all I figure I screwed up by not researching enough and I really do appreciate the advice and tongue in cheek comments. It takes alot more ribbing than this to get me riled up.

I live in Gardiner Maine.

I just called Midas and they said the issue is the mufflers. A 3" in / out is just to big and I should either replace the mufflers or the whole thing.

Would a custom tune give me back all the HP and Torque I lost? What would the cost be (Ball Park), Would I be forced to run premium gas thru it? Whats involved in it? In all reality since I mainly use this for a tow vehicle and occasional DD and do not plan on doing anything big to the motor is it really worth it?

Gibsons Duel swept side exhaust is guarenteed to give me 10 more HP and 20 foot pounds of torque at the rear wheels above the stock numbers. Will a custom tune do that?

I know alot of questions but last time I didn't ask and look where that got me.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Submariner
Nope not at all I figure I screwed up by not researching enough and I really do appreciate the advice and tongue in cheek comments. It takes alot more ribbing than this to get me riled up.

I just called Midas and they said the issue is the mufflers. A 3" in / out is just to big and I should either replace the mufflers or the whole thing.

Would a custom tune give me back all the HP and Torque I lost? What would the cost be (Ball Park), Would I be forced to run premium gas thru it? Whats involved in it? In all reality since I mainly use this for a tow vehicle and occasional DD and do not plan on doing anything big to the motor is it really worth it?

Gibsons Duel swept side exhaust is guarenteed to give me 10 more HP and 20 foot pounds of torque at the rear wheels above the stock numbers. Will a custom tune do that?

Yes.....A custom tune will surpass those gains. A daily driver and a tow vehicle? If you place a twin screw or roots style S/C on there, your towing and daily driving will be greatly increased. For towing that kind of weight, YOU need a S/C for the 8.1L. Your MPG will increase as well.
It may be 5 grand, but it's an upgrade most tow vehicles need. A twin screw or roots style S/C will give you a lot more instant low-end TQ & HP. That's what they are designed for. They are not just for race applications. A moderately tuned S/C will be very reliable.
Just trying to help you out.
By the way, on your exhaust senario, why not just lose the H-pipe and go with a dual in dual out performance muffler? If your muffler shop already has a finger on the problem, then that's good too.
Hope everything works out for the best.

Jim
Old 05-23-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

As much gas as you already spend for that thing, what's another 5-6 bucks to put 93 oct in it over 87oct? It has better benifits than just a higher octane level. It also keeps your combustion chamber, valves, injectors, intake & exhaust ports, 02 sensors, and cats cleaner.
If you go with a custom tune, a 93 oct tune is the only way to go. IMO.

Jim
Old 05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
As much gas as you already spend for that thing, what's another 5-6 bucks to put 93 oct in it over 87oct?

I agree, that's just crazy.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS_bnoon_SS
It's really not back pressure you want in any exhaust system, it's scavenging you're really looking for. The dual 3" system isn't what you should have gone after for a low end torque hauler because the large diameter pipe allows way to much reversion at low flow (low RPM). Step it down to 2.5" pipes, at least off of the manifolds, and you should gain most of the low speed stuff back.

I just called Midas and they said the issue is the mufflers. A 3" in / out is just to big and I should either replace the mufflers or the whole thing. Would a custom tune give me back all the HP and Torque I lost?
The people at Midas are idiots, it's not the mufflers. You have too much pipe diameter. A custom tune should put more on the top end than you ever had before but you may not be able to get all of your low end back with those 3" pipes.

Last edited by jmproductions; 05-23-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Made in South Korea

I would get some flow masters instead of magnaflows...

Quick Reply: Made a huge mistake in my exhaust mod. What now?