Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Made a huge mistake in my exhaust mod. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ghostcustoms
I would get some flow masters instead of magnaflows...
You actually put that truck in your SIG???? V6 manual???
That thing is uggllllllllyyyyy!!! IMO.
Flow Masters over Magnaflow???? Yeah right! We now know you only drive rice now! Flow Master is played out, just as the sound is as well.

Jim
Old 05-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmproductions

The people at Midas are idiots, it's not the mufflers. You have too much pipe diameter. A custom tune should put more on the top end than you ever had before but you may not be able to get all of your low end back with those 3" pipes.
Thats what I'm afraid of (The permanent loss of low end). I have a call in to both Nelson and Westen tuners to see what they have to say. At this point it looks like I'll go with a Gibson duel side swept and once thats paid off go with a custom tune. Then consider it a learning experience. Fortunately I only have $375.00 invested at this point so if I can sell the mufflers for around $100 (They have less than 500 miles on them) I'll only be in the hole $275 in the end.

Just got off the phone with Nelson Tuners and he said a tune most likely will not gain back what it sounds like I lost. He also recommended I swap out the exhaust. I'll wait for Westens response (I don't expect anything different) but like I mentioned earlyer I've resigned myself to spending the cash to replace the exhaust.

Last edited by Submariner; 05-24-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Submariner
At this point it looks like I'll go with a Gibson duel side swept
I don't think you need to change the whole system. It might be cheaper/easier to just change the pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers like SS_bnoon_SS said, especially if you like the way it sounds now.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmproductions
I don't think you need to change the whole system. It might be cheaper/easier to just change the pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers like SS_bnoon_SS said, especially if you like the way it sounds now.
It would cost me more to do that than to replace the system with a Gibson. Up here in Maine not many people can do a decent job of bending exhaust (Nobody does mandrel bending) and those who do it demand a premium price. And there is no guarentee that will restore the lost power.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:54 PM
FormerVendor

It would cost me more to do that than to replace the system with a Gibson. Up here in Maine not many people can do a decent job of bending exhaust (Nobody does mandrel bending) and those who do it demand a premium price. And there is no guarentee that will restore the lost power.
Keep us posted on your progress. I hope it works out well for you.

Richard
Old 05-24-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man that's too bad. I used know a couple of guys in Ft. Worth that could hook that up for like $120. You will get some of your power back though. Do some searching on exhaust scavenging on here and learn a little more about exhaust systems. I think you'll find few people on here that would agree the mufflers are causing the problem.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Teching In

I hope you have not already went with the Gibson. I installed one on my truck after two others sytems and wish I had not. The fit was not good at all. I had to heat bend and hammer to just get the thing to fit. then once on the resonance was unbearable. Right now the truck is parked and when I do ride in it I have to wear ear plugs. I was promised by Gibson that this system would not do that and would get me back to a nice sound. I also lost gas milage with it. And that is not form my foot being into it b/c I can't stand to do it. I also pull a trailer almost every ohter day and from what I have been told either go with a three muffler set up from Magnaflow or a deual 3" in 2.5 out Flo-pro would be the best bet. This will make it quieter but give you back you torque. At least that is what I am being told b/c I ordered my mufflers and they are lost some where so i am still waiting.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:45 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

If everyone is tellingthis giy to put smaller pipes on his truck, then how does GM get away with putting dual 3" pipes on its 6.0 and 8.1 trucks/vans and still have them run OK.

i would do the tune, adding timing advance in the low rpm WILL improve throttle response and help low rpm torque.

peace
Hog
Old 05-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Gm uses a muffler that resembles a trash can.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hog
then how does GM get away with putting dual 3" pipes on its 6.0 and 8.1 trucks/vans and still have them run OK.
I'm by no means an expert but I'm not aware of GM using full dual 3" exhaust on anything. At some point the pipes come together to one and at that point the exhaust velocity is increased which is what is needed to create scavenging.

Quick Reply: Made a huge mistake in my exhaust mod. What now?