Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Magna Charger without radix

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Magna Charger without radix

I am looking into an old style side mount Magnacharger without the intercooler or radix setup. Is this supercharger any good? Any mentionable downsides to it? I just want some info on the old style Magnacharger and what users think of it.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine about 6 months before they came out with the Radix. I'm pleased with it. You can see my mods in my sig. I'm thinking aout a FMS cam and toying with intercooling it after I get efans. I dynoed 301 rwhp and 326 rwtq in 2nd gear.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

I've got over 30k of hard driving on mine with no issues. Probably would have gone with the Radix if they were out when I was shopping but the kit is a well engineered kit and provides great results. A custom tune will really help it as well. Get it. You will be happy you did.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Can you increase the pressure of the Magnacharger by chaging gears? It doesnt hurt the MPG to much does it? I do have the regular mods(exhaust, filter, etc.) so I am ready for a supercharger, and I have a local guy who does custom tuning. Is it possible just not even use the tuner that comes with the magnacharger kit?
Old 05-02-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sammyschevy
Can you increase the pressure of the Magnacharger by chaging gears? It doesnt hurt the MPG to much does it? I do have the regular mods(exhaust, filter, etc.) so I am ready for a supercharger, and I have a local guy who does custom tuning. Is it possible just not even use the tuner that comes with the magnacharger kit?
Ya mean changing pulley's? Yes, but they are different pulleys then the Radix I believe. Search the net for pulleys for the grand Prix they use the M90 as well. I lost about .5 - 1mpg with the supercharger (more than likely from a happy right foot ).
I think the best tuning would be to install the superchips that comes with the kit as a good base tune. Then let a pro tweak it. Starting from scratch will take much more work.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
I bought mine about 6 months before they came out with the Radix. I'm pleased with it. You can see my mods in my sig. I'm thinking aout a FMS cam and toying with intercooling it after I get efans. I dynoed 301 rwhp and 326 rwtq in 2nd gear.

how many psi?
Old 05-02-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

You can get the M90 pulleys from pulleyboys.com,I think you have a keyed Magnuson pulley,you need to check to make sure before ordering your smaller pulley.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whitt1
You can get the M90 pulleys from pulleyboys.com,I think you have a keyed Magnuson pulley,you need to check to make sure before ordering your smaller pulley.
I got mine from Brian at ProjectR. I was running a 2.90 which made 7lbs of boost. Have to watch the KR though as that is about the limit with that blower and the IATs will climb in a hurry in relationship to your right foot.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by L82gofast
I think the best tuning would be to install the superchips that comes with the kit as a good base tune. Then let a pro tweak it. Starting from scratch will take much more work.
See the Magnacharger I am looking at is NOT radix and does not have the stock tuner with it. Would a regualer superchips programmer install this? I wonder if Ed Wright could get it all tuned up without the stock programmer. Wanna save the $$$'s
Old 05-03-2004, 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sammyschevy
See the Magnacharger I am looking at is NOT radix and does not have the stock tuner with it. Would a regualer superchips programmer install this? I wonder if Ed Wright could get it all tuned up without the stock programmer. Wanna save the $$$'s
Ok, gotcha. If it is a used kit without the programmer then yes. You can call superchips and they can program you one. You would get better results with a custom tune from Nelson's or someone. Just tell them your setup and they will send you a pcm. That way you only need to do it once.