Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Magnacharger with big throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnacharger with big throttle body

Has anyone concidered using a 90mm throttle body on their Magnacharger's intake tube?The tech people at Magnacharger claim that they developed the casting with the capability of being ported to 90mm.I'm going to try it,any oppinions on what kinds of problems I might encounter?
Old 01-05-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about it .. and I've also looked at it before. It looks like the opening could very well be punched out a good bit. I would be very interested to see how this works.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've switched from throttle by wire to a cable setup and have a 90MM FAST throttlebody coming.I'll be taking the intake tube to the machine shop before the end of the week.Then I guess I'll find out if there are any tuning issues.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Been considering the same as well. Cant wait till I have time to actually work on my own truck as well
Old 01-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whitt1
Has anyone concidered using a 90mm throttle body on their Magnacharger's intake tube?The tech people at Magnacharger claim that they developed the casting with the capability of being ported to 90mm.I'm going to try it,any oppinions on what kinds of problems I might encounter?

Might cause something serious like a good HP increase
Old 01-06-2005, 09:55 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

Might cause something serious like a good HP increase
im sure he hopes so
Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmm when your 112" roots blower is maxed out its cfm rating, a bigger throttle bottle isnt going to help. this is assuming you have pushed your blower to that point. the L guys have gone to as large as a 100 mm oval single blade TB and gained about 7 rwhp when overspinning the blower.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unless whitt has changed his setup som ... he's not close to maxing it out.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:19 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
hmm when your 112" roots blower is maxed out its cfm rating, a bigger throttle bottle isnt going to help. this is assuming you have pushed your blower to that point. the L guys have gone to as large as a 100 mm oval single blade TB and gained about 7 rwhp when overspinning the blower.

The supercharger on the Lightning and the supercharger we make are TWO different deals. The MP112 will out flow the M112 on the Lightning any day of the week.

You will benefit from the bigger MAF if you have reached 550 + RWHP. Trust me, the limits of the Radix MP112 have not even been touched yet.

Whitt what you need to check it the flow behind the trottle body and before the inlet of the blower. You should have no more than .5 inches of vacume in that space. Any more than that and you are loosing some HP and will benefit greatly from a larger TB.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is true. A positive displacement sc can only pull in a set amount of air per rotation. I did a test a while back that is similar to this subject.
I thought my air box with the stock paper filter might be "clogging" the pull of air. So I hooked up a vacuum gauge on the low pressure side of the supercharger (before the rotors). Guess what...the gauge showed Zero. That is good though. Why? Well it means that there was no addition strain that the supercharger was having to overcome through that stock paper filter like it would have if the gauge had showed Vacuum.
You may do this simple test before you invest more $$. If you don't show vacuum, your gains will probably be nil.

Quick Reply: Magnacharger with big throttle body