Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The Magnaflow Drone is killing me - I'm about to put my stock exhaust back on

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Magnaflow Drone is killing me - I'm about to put my stock exhaust back on

Ok, I've had the magnaflow muffler on my truck now for a year and it is driving me crazy. Mods are in sig but I am running stock manifolds and Y-pipe along with stock cats. I have frankensteined a catback system together using stainless 3.5" piping from a silverado SS (so I could use the tip and have stainless pipe) and then used the long cased Mangnaflow #: 12578 satin stainless muffler. At first it had a nice "meaty" tone to it without being raspy. Now after a year of driving it sounds nice but has developed a head splitting drone that drives me crazy. I don't want to fork out the cash for a Corsa, I want to make this system work. I have considered going with a Dynatech cone insert, but I've heard only a few reviews and all the folks that bought them seemed to be disappointed. Then someone from another site recommended I buy a CC Insert (http://www.engineceramics.com/hardpart/ccinserts.htm) and push the insert into the tailpipe and rivet it into place. Has anyone had any experience with the cc insert. I am giving this one last chance, if it doesn't work my stock cat-back is going back on.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Is it dumped or over axle. I had a 40 series flowmaster dumped and it droned its *** off. Switched to a magnaflow but ran it out just right over the axle and it was 10x better.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

This is over the axle and out the side in the stock exhaust exit location.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep checking eBay for a Corsa system for your truck. I got mine for less than $400 including shipping. You'll be very pleased with the Corsa.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I know ultimately that would be the best solution at this point, but with the budget I'm on right now (remodeling the house) that isn't an option. I have $100 to spend tops to fix this right, or I am yanking it off until I can afford a corsa.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Get a hooker max flow

I have absolutely no drone dumped over axle, or either move the muff back some away from the cab.
Derek
Old 05-17-2007, 10:27 AM

My Magnaflow catback barely drones at all....
Old 05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the drone...drives my wife crazy ...I just turn up the tunes when I've had enuf! Seriously tho, I'll be going to a Corsa or Borla true dual at soem point when climb out of the hole...R/
Old 05-17-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Just curious

Why ppl spend a lot of money on a corsa or mag when you can get much cheaper decent quality exhaust sys and not lose any performance. I admit i am partial to hooker quality, price, and sound, but what is the hype with corsa besides the stainless... not bashing, JW? Not tryin to jack the thread.
Thanks,
Derek
Old 05-17-2007, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by virgils4.85spd
Why ppl spend a lot of money on a corsa or mag when you can get much cheaper decent quality exhaust sys and not lose any performance. I admit i am partial to hooker quality, price, and sound, but what is the hype with corsa besides the stainless... not bashing, JW? Not tryin to jack the thread.
Thanks,
Derek
With the corsa you get quiet idling/cruising w/ absolutly no drone and at WOT it screams. And its a straight through muffler so great performance. I mean don't get me wrong I lucked out and bought the truck with the corsa already installed but I've had magnaflow, flowmaster on my previous 99 ecsb 5.3...Just my .02

Quick Reply: The Magnaflow Drone is killing me - I'm about to put my stock exhaust back on