Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Magnaflow not loud enough!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow not loud enough!

I have a 6.0 in my truck and just had a magnaflow put on and not happy with it. I had the muffler shop cut the dual factory pipes before the stock mufffler and then weld on a single magnaflow with 3" dual intlet and 2 1/2" dual outlet. They ran 2 1/2" dual pipes out the back. Don't get me wrong about the muffler it has a great tone and the straight threw design looks efficient to me but its just not loud enough. When the truck is idling you can barely tell between it and the stock exhaust. At wide open you can hardly tell the difference. It sound ok around 2,000 rpm. I called my muffler shop back and he said the more that I drive it the louder it will get. But how much louder? What can I do to get it louder? I have had many Flowmaster's and liked them but I know they aren't quite as good at flow as the Magnaflows. I suggested maybe to put on (2) flowmaster Delta 40 series. I want to hear that I have dual exhaust on my truck even when it's ideling. Maybe I made a bad choice on it. It will have 8 miles on it tomorrow and I'm probably going to have the muffler switched so there maybe be a Magnaflow for sale. " An y suggestions I love the tone just not loud enough?"
Old 02-02-2004, 10:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Getting rid of the cats will make it louder.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:45 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Dynomax Bullets are loud and a lot louder than stock at idle. They are also ~$30-35 brand new.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC2500HD
I have a 6.0 in my truck and just had a magnaflow put on and not happy with it. I had the muffler shop cut the dual factory pipes before the stock mufffler and then weld on a single magnaflow with 3" dual intlet and 2 1/2" dual outlet. They ran 2 1/2" dual pipes out the back. Don't get me wrong about the muffler it has a great tone and the straight threw design looks efficient to me but its just not loud enough. When the truck is idling you can barely tell between it and the stock exhaust. At wide open you can hardly tell the difference. It sound ok around 2,000 rpm. I called my muffler shop back and he said the more that I drive it the louder it will get. But how much louder? What can I do to get it louder? I have had many Flowmaster's and liked them but I know they aren't quite as good at flow as the Magnaflows. I suggested maybe to put on (2) flowmaster Delta 40 series. I want to hear that I have dual exhaust on my truck even when it's ideling. Maybe I made a bad choice on it. It will have 8 miles on it tomorrow and I'm probably going to have the muffler switched so there maybe be a Magnaflow for sale. " An y suggestions I love the tone just not loud enough?"
MAN,i have the exact opposite problem.Friday i had a 5x8x24" 3"dual in magnaflow installed.Holy **** this ******* thing is loud and the resonence is enough to make your ears bleed,a loud hum drone harmonics that is like being trapped in a 55gallon drum while strapped to a excavator,sounds like short glass packs dumped under the front seats w/no cats.Anyways going a different route (not magnaflow)on Thursday.I would trade you mufflers in a heart beat.I pissed away good money on a muffler and an install.
My muffler guy said the more you drive it the quieter it will get.Ya you bettcha,it would have to grow baffles.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
My muffler guy said the more you drive it the quieter it will get.Ya you bettcha,it would have to grow baffles.
LMAO .. in other words .. your muffler guy doesn't want you back in his shop.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

I have a Magnaflow side exit catback and it's NOT quiet. It's not obnoxiously loud, but you can definitely tell a non-stock exhaust is on the truck when you're accelerating, even under light throttle.

The side exit catback has 3 inch piping all the way back with a 22" muffler and a 4 inch tip, don't know if that makes a difference?
Old 02-03-2004, 08:08 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gonzo - How does the truck feel now? Low, mid, upper range power? How about your estimates times on your marked off section of road, any better?

What about the Magnaflow dual 3" in / out 28" 5x11 true X muffler? Thats the one I was thinking about getting. Maybe not now. I don't want that interior noise.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Launching!

just take off the muffler completely, if all you are looking for is loudness......
Old 02-03-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex
Gonzo - How does the truck feel now? Low, mid, upper range power? How about your estimates times on your marked off section of road, any better?

What about the Magnaflow dual 3" in / out 28" 5x11 true X muffler? Thats the one I was thinking about getting. Maybe not now. I don't want that interior noise.
If feels a touch better,it didnt changed the marked stop times any.I bet towing it will help.I feel like my mileage went up,base on watching the gauge.I should have stuck with my gut and went the biggest,Oxidizer recommend the one i did install,he wouldnt think so if he heard it.Also my fault was i went to a guy i like and gives the best deals.If i had gone to the more spendy guy that did my mandrel piped install he would have told me not to do it and would have recommened something different because he's been there done that on so many late models.I will see him on Thursday,it would have been cheaper in the long run.He talked me out of the flopro HD he said they drone on the 6.0s and 8.1 that he's installed,I did ask "are you sure we are talking about the big 9x12 flopro?" he said yes.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

He talked me out of the flopro HD he said they drone on the 6.0s and 8.1 that he's installed,I did ask "are you sure we are talking about the big 9x12 flopro?" he said yes.
I have a flo~pro HD 2504, I believe. It drones some, but not that much. It's much quieter than my Borla was on my '99.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow not loud enough!