Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Magnaflow Race Mufflers or Flowmaster 10 Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Race Mufflers or Flowmaster 10 Series

Okay, I have a 1999 Classic (old body style) 5.7 Vortec and I'm wanting to change my exhaust up a little bit. I have Flowmaster Super 40 right now dual in/dual out and I'm considering going with two mufflers, either the Magnaflow Race Mufflers or the Flowmaster 10 Series Race Mufflers. I want it to be loud and sound powerful, but not sound like a farm truck. I know Magnaflow has two versions of theirs a 6x6 round case and a 5x8 oval case. I'm not sure which would be best but i think they are a straight through design. The Flowmaster 10 Series are a one chamber and the case is 6x3 I think. Also I'm currently running 2.50" inlet and outlet and they make all of these in 2.50" in/out and 3" in/out and the Magnaflow even has a 4" in/out, which might be a bit much. I have shorty headers and when i do my swap I'll probably put on two Magnaflow high flow converters. Which way should I go? By the way I've searched but couldn't find much on the Magnaflow Race Series. Thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the 10 series flowmaster. Its loud but very raspy.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

i had a flow master single chamber, which is same as 10 series i think, and it sounded pretty good. i had stock manifolds and y pipe, and a new piece of 3 inch from the flange back, and just a turn down after the muffler. it was quiet at idle, and had that great chambered grumble at part throttle, and at wot it would just flat out scream. but i switched out to a 22 inch long cased magnaflow because of the drone, i just kinda got tired of the same booming pitch all the time, couldn't hear the radio or carry on a conversation with a passenger. the magnaflow is set up the same way with just a turn down after it and is much quieter, barely louder than stock at idle, noticeable grumble on acceleration, and a deep growl at wot. i have heard the shorter ones, and they get much louder, and i don't know, but i don't think height and width of the magnaflows really change the sound too much, just the length. its up to you really.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i have a dynomax bullet rt after my cat, it was way too raspy, so i put on a flowmaster 3" 10 series single chamber, and it mellowed the raspyness down, and sound good!!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 006rcsb
i had a flow master single chamber, which is same as 10 series i think, and it sounded pretty good. i had stock manifolds and y pipe, and a new piece of 3 inch from the flange back, and just a turn down after the muffler. it was quiet at idle, and had that great chambered grumble at part throttle, and at wot it would just flat out scream. but i switched out to a 22 inch long cased magnaflow because of the drone, i just kinda got tired of the same booming pitch all the time, couldn't hear the radio or carry on a conversation with a passenger. the magnaflow is set up the same way with just a turn down after it and is much quieter, barely louder than stock at idle, noticeable grumble on acceleration, and a deep growl at wot. i have heard the shorter ones, and they get much louder, and i don't know, but i don't think height and width of the magnaflows really change the sound too much, just the length. its up to you really.
do you have any drone with that setup?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

none at all, but im in the process of installing headers so there may be some after.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I've really been wanting to change my exhaust to a magnaflow race series muffler. 3" in/out--5x8 oval 6" body and either dump it, run side exit before the tire with some corsa tips or run hidden duals over the axle on either side. I know I will do that when I get a set of LT's.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:51 PM
dug
Banned

I have a pair of 1chambers on my truck. Theyre tiny, 3x8" THey are really loud and sound good. The drone sux though.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

How do you have yours ran after the mufflers, do you have it on the 5.7? I'm really thinking about going through with one of these. My dual in/out Super 40 has like 40,000 miles on it and I don't think its bad, but when I open it up my brother says it sounds like its empty, sort of like a tin can sound. I don't know what to think about it, but I wouldn't mind it being a little bit louder!
Old 06-28-2009, 02:14 PM
dug
Banned

mine are dumped at the axle, probably why the drone is so bad. But I like the sound of dumps

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Race Mufflers or Flowmaster 10 Series