Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

magnaflow tru-x or x-pipe...or both?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnaflow tru-x or x-pipe...or both?

Does a Magnaflow dual-in dual-out muffler with the "Tru-X Perforated Core" serve to replace an x-pipe, or is an x-pipe still needed ahead of the muffler?
And if an x-pipe is used (ahead of the muffler), does it provide a 'double x' in the system?

See magnaflow's site for example on a tru-x:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=487

The specific magnaflow I'm considering using is the 12468; although it doesn't say 'tru-x' on magnaflow's web site, it is tru-x.
(I can get one from a friend for very low cost, if I want it).

Any experience using such mufflers? This is definitely lower cost than two separate mufflers. And yes, assume dual piping will be used from the cats-back.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I had that exact muffler on my previous 2000 5.3L ECSB Silverado.
No performance gains could be felt. It was also on the quiet side. It was quieter under WOT than 1/2 or 3/4 throttle.
I didn't like it.
I had true duals all the way to that muffler. In two, X chamber, then out two.
It does serve it's purpose as an X-pipe or pressure equilizer between the cylinders, but it would be a lot better to have the X-pipe section as close to the engine as possible, but not before the cats.
The best gains would be using two high flow cats (if you want to stay legal), a X-pipe, then two mufflers of some sort.
Good Luck!

Jim
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Teching In

I guess I should update my sig.. have headers and high flow cats, temporarily hooked up to the stock Y and muffler. I've got the xpipe and other peices needed for full dual, just haven't got it on yet.
The original plan was to use two separate mufflers, with an x-pipe in the system where the stock Y would be. I elected to go full dual because other mods will be coming and I want to go ahead and get the exhaust right the first time (sure, I could use the stock Y with a high-flow muffler, but I don't want to do that).

I realize the muffler linked to in my previous post is the larger, longer one for suv's; I wouldnt use that one anyway, but a short, 18" long one.

I might pass it up and go for individual mufflers.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok here is my truck now way to loud.

I have sw headers with some random tech 3 inch cats. So 3 inch duals coming frmo the headers to the single in singel out magnaflow.

i talked to magnaflow and said i want the maximum flow but quiet her down some and they told me that the muffler i got which is this one the 5x11x22 with internal x pipe

will quiet it down some but since im running long tubes and small 3 inch high flow cats it still would be loud. Ill be running dual 3 inch in and dual 3 inch out exiting in the back of the truck. I didnt want to get a additional x pipe and run 2 longer mufflers because that would just cost more money and take up more space. i hope to have it in all next week. there is a member chase that has this same muffler and his silverado ss is still loud. they also told me that the 3 inch dual in/out is a jump on sound over the 2.5. the dual 2.5 inch in/out is noticeably quieter.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:04 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I'm running mid-length headers, stock cats, x-pipe, and the magnaflow that you are talking about with an internal x-pipe. It's not quiet. It was about the first 500-700 miles, could barely hear it, but it slowly gets louder. I love the sound of it, not as aggresive as the bullets I had on. It's got a deep, smooth tone to it. WOT it's loud. Normal driving it drones just like the bullets.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Restricted User

Is it the 5x11x22 or the 5x8x24 dual in/out?

also 2.5 or 3 inch set up?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks, TBSS and hemiK. Both of your posts help. I dont want a real loud exhaust, but one that you can hear at WOT, plus maintain as much 'wide-open' performance using the appropriate muffler. I have long tube headers and high-flow cats, so I don't expect it to be real quiet, nor do I want it real quiet, just not real loud (except WOT). Sounds like this muffler will quiet it down a little, which is OK.

With the x-pipe in the muffler, how useful and effective is it there? With the optimum location of the X as close to the cats/headers as possibe, it would seem that putting an X firther back in the system would not be as effective. I suppose though, relatively speaking, putting back about 4 more feet (inside the muffler vs. where the pipes converge) is not that much difference.

OK, hemikiller, you have both an x-pipe and the tru-x muffler on yours which has an x in it, too. Have you tried any configurations with just one or the other, and if so, noticed any difference?

If the X in the muffler will provide the needed x-pipe transition, then it will be more cost effective to just use that instead of buying and putting in an external x-pipe.

Comments/other thoughts?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:53 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TxStangDude
Thanks, TBSS and hemiK. Both of your posts help. I dont want a real loud exhaust, but one that you can hear at WOT, plus maintain as much 'wide-open' performance using the appropriate muffler. I have long tube headers and high-flow cats, so I don't expect it to be real quiet, nor do I want it real quiet, just not real loud (except WOT). Sounds like this muffler will quiet it down a little, which is OK.

With the x-pipe in the muffler, how useful and effective is it there? With the optimum location of the X as close to the cats/headers as possibe, it would seem that putting an X firther back in the system would not be as effective. I suppose though, relatively speaking, putting back about 4 more feet (inside the muffler vs. where the pipes converge) is not that much difference.

OK, hemikiller, you have both an x-pipe and the tru-x muffler on yours which has an x in it, too. Have you tried any configurations with just one or the other, and if so, noticed any difference?

If the X in the muffler will provide the needed x-pipe transition, then it will be more cost effective to just use that instead of buying and putting in an external x-pipe.

Comments/other thoughts?
I already had the x-pipe on with the bullets. When I put the tru-x muffler on, I just left the x-pipe on. I didn't feel any power difference what so ever. I do plan on taking the regular x-pipe out and replacing the stock cats with the high-flow cats. BTW, I'm running 2 1/2" piping. If you've got anymore questions, I'd be glad to help!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Restricted User

well we started on the muffler set up today. ill see how loud the true duals are with the new bigger muffler.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

it sounds mean

Quick Reply: magnaflow tru-x or x-pipe...or both?