Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Magnaflows installed - more performance, yet quieter than stock!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna have to do something soon. I also prefer a quiet vehicle and a single magnaflow with no cats is way to loud. I wish I had the room ender the truck like you. The turbo takes up some of the room. I'm thinking about getting a muffler like the vettes have. The exhaust goes in and back out on the same end.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Yes, you are correct. That is his 'pet' setup. In spite of how much I told him I wanted both quiet and performance, he recommended the FM70 over the Magnaflow. Much later, he admitted that the Magnaflow 12588 was quieter, but told me that he recommended the Flowmaster because the 'quality' of the sound was better than the Magnaflow.

This Magnaflow x 2 setup is what I should have had from the get-go. I'm very, very happy.
Do you have the catalytic converters on there?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I do.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that is alot of muffler on there.

I think I'd like a setup like that now a days. Even my single in/out magnaflow cat back with stock manifolds/y-pipe setup is getting a little loud for my taste these days. The thing is it's quiet compared to most cat back systems. Guess I'm getting old.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I still can't believe how great this setup is. I just went for a drive to the bank and thoroughly enjoyed the absolute silence there was in the cabin. Just tooling around town, there is simply no noise to be heard.

When I do get on it on freeway on-ramps, etc, I certainly hear the blower, but that's it - no exhaust noise. I can modulate/moderate how much noise I get with my right foot.

After the guy welded the mufflers in, he motioned for me to come over and have a look. As I got near the vehicle, I thought I saw vapor, but didn't hear anything. I asked him, "Is it running?" He laughed, and said "Yeah."
Old 09-06-2005, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love my magnaflow. thats probably the only i will be going for now on. i tried all kinds of stuff on my 98 Z 5.7. i dont think mine is as quiet as stock though. just sitting there i can barely hear it but when i mash down on it, it has a nice mellow tone. glad you like and it only took you 3 tries. it took me 5.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, this really is a simple choice. You can get whatever you want in the way of sound with a Magnaflow, and no matter what, get the performance of a straight-through design. Just choose your muffler accordingly....get a 5x8 or 5x11 for sound reduction, or 3.5x7 & 4x9 Oval (or 4" & 6" Round) for bigger sound.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:30 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Thts good info. I had a similar setup planned, but using dual 3" single magnaflows into a dual 3" / single 4" out magnaflow. As it turned out, the two singles I bought wouldn't fit well with the big one behind them, so I never installed them. I wish I had, just to see how how much quieter it got.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigTex
Thts good info. I had a similar setup planned, but using dual 3" single magnaflows into a dual 3" / single 4" out magnaflow. As it turned out, the two singles I bought wouldn't fit well with the big one behind them, so I never installed them. I wish I had, just to see how how much quieter it got.
So what do you have planned instead, or what are you doing now?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:45 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I ran just the big 12594 Magnaflow for a while. It was really strong, but loud. I'm back to my flowpro muffler right now.

Quick Reply: Magnaflows installed - more performance, yet quieter than stock!