Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

mass air flow senser q?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckmann
I have to disagree. Don't de-screen the MAF unless you are prepared to deal with the possible problems that ensue. The minuscule added horsepower you might get is not worth problems that you might end up with. That screen is in there for a very good reason.
Several years ago I was the same way about the screen. Unless you are running forced induction, you don't need the screen (air turbulence). Really. If you are having problems, you were most likely having them anyways.

And it's worth about 5 HP as the dyno spins. You can check it out over on Tech. I'll see if I can dig up the thread on it.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
Every Chevy I have ever had I have descreen the MAF and I have never had a problem. If you are going on the logic that the WIDGET is there for a reason then why do we mod anything?
How old of chevy's are we talking about here. That screen is there to smooth the airflow over the iat sensor and through the MAF so the numbers it is sending to the PCM are accurate. If you don't mind sending incorrect data to the pcm then go ahead and take the screen out. It is more critical with newer pcm's since they are able to use the data to make more accurate fueling adjustments. Personally I feel better knowing that the pcm is getting correct data so it doesn't lean out the mixture and burn a hole in a piston or idle like crap because it can't accurately calculate the the incoming airflow or temp.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckmann
How old of chevy's are we talking about here. That screen is there to smooth the airflow over the iat sensor and through the MAF so the numbers it is sending to the PCM are accurate. If you don't mind sending incorrect data to the pcm then go ahead and take the screen out. It is more critical with newer pcm's since they are able to use the data to make more accurate fueling adjustments. Personally I feel better knowing that the pcm is getting correct data so it doesn't lean out the mixture and burn a hole in a piston or idle like crap because it can't accurately calculate the the incoming airflow or temp.
Actually it doesn't smooth the flow out over the IAT, it straightens the air going past the wires that compromise the MAF. And on some LSx vehicles the IAT isn't in the MAF, it's in the duct going to the TB.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems like I read somewhere that where the gain came from was the PCM bumping the timing like a degree or a dgree and a half because the screen wasn't there.