Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Massive LQ9 Project (Advice Needed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive LQ9 Project (Advice Needed)

First let me list what I've got sitting in my workshop and what I plan to do with it:

It's a 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext Cab SLE that currently has a 5.3 in it and a 4L60E transmission. It's got 158k miles on it and I'm not about to pour money into something with miles like that.

I've got my eye on a new LQ9 motor(#12499467), I plan to mate that with a 4L80E Overdrive Extreme Duty tranny by Hughes Performance (#K25-10xA) and put a new transfer case in there as well(#NP243C) also by Hughes.

I'm going to run 17/40-16.5LT Groundhog Tires on some 17x10-12 Weld Mountain Crushers along with a 12" Cognito lift/3" body lift and some bushwhacker fender cutouts, 5.29 Pinion set, and a Brembo brake kit.

I realize its going to cost a whole lot of money to do what I want to with this truck, but we all know there's nothing like seeing the heads turn as you cruise by.

With that said, I really, REALLY need some advice on The following:

* Getting my ECU updated to the new engine (no idea where to start)
* Aspiration tips (Supercharger, intake, timing, exhaust)
* Any tips, tricks or common problems with this kind of swap. I'd like to spend more time progressing than I spend cussing.

I have a ton of experience in older motors so I know my way around the shop, this is my first attempt at these NewFangled 3rd gen motors.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DorkLogic
First let me list what I've got sitting in my workshop and what I plan to do with it:

It's a 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext Cab SLE that currently has a 5.3 in it and a 4L60E transmission. It's got 158k miles on it and I'm not about to pour money into something with miles like that.

I've got my eye on a new LQ9 motor(#12499467), I plan to mate that with a 4L80E Overdrive Extreme Duty tranny by Hughes Performance (#K25-10xA) and put a new transfer case in there as well(#NP243C) also by Hughes.

I'm going to run 17/40-16.5LT Groundhog Tires on some 17x10-12 Weld Mountain Crushers along with a 12" Cognito lift/3" body lift and some bushwhacker fender cutouts, 5.29 Pinion set, and a Brembo brake kit.

I realize its going to cost a whole lot of money to do what I want to with this truck, but we all know there's nothing like seeing the heads turn as you cruise by.

With that said, I really, REALLY need some advice on The following:

* Getting my ECU updated to the new engine (no idea where to start)
* Aspiration tips (Supercharger, intake, timing, exhaust)
* Any tips, tricks or common problems with this kind of swap. I'd like to spend more time progressing than I spend cussing.

I have a ton of experience in older motors so I know my way around the shop, this is my first attempt at these NewFangled 3rd gen motors.
Motor swap is cake. If you can unbolt the old you can put in the new. The 4l80 is not too bad from what I have heard. You will need a new yoke on the driveshaft, modify the crossmember, a crank spacer and flywheel, maybe an adaptor harness from speartech. Brian @ magnacharger can chime in and give more insight to the ole '80 swap.

The ECU tuning, allen @ nelsonperformance can fix you up with that, he is pretty much the god of tuning around here. He has great results and awesome customer service.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:44 AM
Staging Lane

I remember asking Justin if the driveshaft needed to be lengthened, and he recommended an 1 1/2" for excab trucks. Now I'm assuming that the 80 is longer than the 60, so maybe you might not need to lenghten it!

That's gonna be a hell of a lift and a great drivetrain!
Old 06-14-2004, 04:45 AM
Teching In

I'm going to have to lengthen it because of the 12" suspension lift, but seriously some very good info regarding the Transmission. I chose the hughes trans because its all kinds of sick when it comes to goodies and upgrades. They said something along the lines of 'you won't be able to break this one.'

It's a good sign that they're that confident about it. I still say 'where there's a will there's a way'

I'll definitely have pics of the project and how it progresses. Keep checking this forum 'cause I'm probably going to need a lot more help on this one.

Thanks for the responses so far!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

I would think about a dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear first, or even better 2 1/2 ton axles that have 6.72 gears in them. Half ton's don't like going below 4.88 gears without problems, especially with a lot of HP and torque. If you are going NA with your 6.0 I would get a cam put in while you have the motor out. Also a stall would be a nice touch with that transmission. Good luck, sounds like a cool project.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I was afraid something like that'd happen, when you look at how big 40 inch tires are the stock rear axle looks like a toothpick. My buddy has a 14 bolt out of a 3/4 ton that I can get for cheap.

This **** is priceless. THANKS!

Any suggestions on cam specs?