Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

May have found an alternative to AMW

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed01rcr
DO you guys know if we have to tee off the catch can to run the lines to both valve covers for this to work?
what we are saying is that we have no line going to the intake. Just a catch can with a breather on top that is run to the line on each valve cover.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

You guys do realize that in some small sort of way your actually harming performance by not running a positive crankcase system??

The problem here and is something we've proven on the dyno and on track experience is that the vacuum created by the air being pulled out of the crankcase is benefical. It helps the rings seal better and can definately make a difference in a high HP engine. Now i realize everyone here isn't going for more power so it will work for what they want *removing oil residue from the intake*. But for those of you looking for all you can mustard out of your truck i'd rethink your process. The ultimate way of creating a crankcase vacuum would be to run a electric or belt drive vacuum pump, we've run a setup in place of a stock SBC distributor for years and have noted an average of 3-5hp gains over running a purely open breather system. The best way for a daily driver to achieve a lower oil consumption rate balanced with a clean intake and even a small gain in power would be to run a much better PCV system. Such as using a charcoal canister in line from the breathers to the intake, just to help remove the oil from the air.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by w41quad4
You guys do realize that in some small sort of way your actually harming performance by not running a positive crankcase system??

The problem here and is something we've proven on the dyno and on track experience is that the vacuum created by the air being pulled out of the crankcase is benefical. It helps the rings seal better and can definately make a difference in a high HP engine. Now i realize everyone here isn't going for more power so it will work for what they want *removing oil residue from the intake*. But for those of you looking for all you can mustard out of your truck i'd rethink your process. The ultimate way of creating a crankcase vacuum would be to run a electric or belt drive vacuum pump, we've run a setup in place of a stock SBC distributor for years and have noted an average of 3-5hp gains over running a purely open breather system. The best way for a daily driver to achieve a lower oil consumption rate balanced with a clean intake and even a small gain in power would be to run a much better PCV system. Such as using a charcoal canister in line from the breathers to the intake, just to help remove the oil from the air.
While Im not going back to the PCV system for 3-5 hp when Im shooting for 650+, I am interested in this idea. Are you saying that there should be no breather? I really thought that the "best way" would be to have a breather on the passenger side valve cover and then a sealed catch can on the drivers side to the intake or preblower or turbo (whatever vacuum source). Or are you saying to use a $700 vacuum pump to create the vacuum? How are you getting the pressure out when its seeing 15+ pounds of boost. Ring sealing at that point becomes blowby. Which does not help with power production. Im no expert here these are real questions I have about this.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:33 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your turbocharged try and run the catch can from both valve covers to the one catch can then run the intake side of the catch can to the intake side of the turbo. useing a piece of hard tubing like1/2" make a slash cut in the tubing and insert this before the intake on the turbo pointing the slash toward the turbo. when the turbo sucks in hard at boost the air passing past the slash cut tube will create a vacuum which will give you a vacuum in the crank case. make since?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 AM
12 Second Truck Club

has anyone tried maybe stuffing some steel wool in this catch can to give the vapor something to grab ahold of and maybe stop it.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

If that was the case, then why not just do that or find a filter to fit the 2" PVC catch cans people make from the hardware store?
Old 11-13-2005, 01:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

those have filters in them. all they are, are the air water sepperator for and air compressor.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Already ordered it I was bored late at night with like 500 bucks in my paypal account BAD combination
you spent my money on that pos lol :p
Old 11-13-2005, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

We ran a catch can with a steel wool element in the can, but instead of venting the can into the atomosphere we ran a line to a vacuum pump. This pump which happened to be in place of where our distributor would have been on our SBC created a crankcase vacuum at any RPM and was then vented to the atomsphere. So the pump basically took place of using the engines natural vacuum, using a ton of steel wool and a decent sized catch can we never saw any amount of oil being released into the atmosphere on the outlet side of the vac. pump. This was all on NA engines as thats all we could run in our class. This did show very much promise though with our engine and greatly helped any blow by we were getting before hand.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Would one of these work? They are priced pretty nice

Tank 1

Tank 2

Quick Reply: May have found an alternative to AMW