Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

maybe it is the 4.8 that can! sickred thank ya sir!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like it was a fun install. LMAO

the man wanted something that was VERY streetable, and that didnt drive like mine does.. he didnt want a weekend warrior, as this is his daily commuter, hence the smaller cam. i felt it was a better setup for 1500-6300 ish rpm for him... he did not want to spin it much higher

i wish i could say i had fun doing that job with you buddy... but we both know i would be lying. LOL

that damned pacesetter ORY wouldnt get off of there, and the drivers side doesnt have much room at all. i thought about taking a torch and cutting the front end off for more room... but decided to take the extra time and do it right.

i think it will suit your needs fine though, and what you expressed that you wanted. otherwise we would have went with a huge cam, and 4K stall. i think we will meet your goals, and we didnt break the piggy bank too bad.

good luck with the rest of it, tuning and what not. it sounded really nice to me.... but what do i know.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:45 AM
something else

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
the new and old. in person there is a HUGE difference to see in the heads. thank God the egr is gone. look at the intake runners!!
[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u319/theblakster/DSCF0513.jpg[/IMG
Originally Posted by chevytruck
Originally Posted by budhayes3
The IMG tag isn't closed on the last pic and it isn't showing up...
There ya go, that is the picture that I posted in my first post.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 AM
something else

How long did it take to do the complete install?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

How long did it take to do the complete install?
well, by the time we located the longer crank bolt, and pulley puller that my little buddy forgot, , i think we got started around 10 am or so.... and stopped 2-3 times to eat.... finished about midnight. LOL

WAY longer than i had hoped. the cam swap took me a little less than 2 hours, passenger head another 2 hours, give or take.... but the mother of a driver side head gave me hell! seemed like they built the whole truck around that head!

wasnt terrible, and he is a VERY nice, respectful young guy. i feel like he learned a good bit about how his combo works, and how to tear a motor down. granted, i went slow and tried to do everything correctly so we wouldnt have to go back in there anytime soon. i hate half assing things.

all i can say is, thank GOD for air tools!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 AM
something else

Was it just a tight fitment issue for the driver side?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

was it ever! and the header wouldnt come out. had to get the steering out of the way, alternator, power steering pump, etc... the damned temp sensor wrung off in the head at about 6 ft. lbs of torque! LOL had to get the old "Easy out" and put it to work. got that fixed, and the bracketry didnt want to line back up.

it just didnt go as planned, but what does right? i was thinking we could do it in 8 hours or so.... wrong. LOL its done though
Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah everything was smooth as silk until we got to the drivers side. there is a little bracket on the back of the head that is no longer there that served no damn purpose! definently a long time haha

Yea, that does look like alot of fun...btw I like the hot rod beach towel!
i have a few extra. the snap on lady always gives me a few

I'll bet that the EGR only had a bit part to play in all of that carbon BTW, wouldn't doubt if it was a combo of the rich factory tune (when you had a factory tune) and the oil that gets sucked in through the PCV valve, as well as the EGR. I'd recommend investing in an oil catch can if you don't already have one

The IMG tag isn't closed on the last pic and it isn't showing up...
true true. i think it will be better and i will be looking into a catch can

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
looks like it was a fun install. LMAO

the man wanted something that was VERY streetable, and that didnt drive like mine does.. he didnt want a weekend warrior, as this is his daily commuter, hence the smaller cam. i felt it was a better setup for 1500-6300 ish rpm for him... he did not want to spin it much higher

i wish i could say i had fun doing that job with you buddy... but we both know i would be lying. LOL

that damned pacesetter ORY wouldnt get off of there, and the drivers side doesnt have much room at all. i thought about taking a torch and cutting the front end off for more room... but decided to take the extra time and do it right.

i think it will suit your needs fine though, and what you expressed that you wanted. otherwise we would have went with a huge cam, and 4K stall. i think we will meet your goals, and we didnt break the piggy bank too bad.

good luck with the rest of it, tuning and what not. it sounded really nice to me.... but what do i know.
thank ya sir. i definently learned a lot! hopefully i can get the tune here and get that straight for now until we change it up a little

There ya go, that is the picture that I posted in my first post.
thank ya sir

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
well, by the time we located the longer crank bolt, and pulley puller that my little buddy forgot, , i think we got started around 10 am or so.... and stopped 2-3 times to eat.... finished about midnight. LOL

WAY longer than i had hoped. the cam swap took me a little less than 2 hours, passenger head another 2 hours, give or take.... but the mother of a driver side head gave me hell! seemed like they built the whole truck around that head!

wasnt terrible, and he is a VERY nice, respectful young guy. i feel like he learned a good bit about how his combo works, and how to tear a motor down. granted, i went slow and tried to do everything correctly so we wouldnt have to go back in there anytime soon. i hate half assing things.

all i can say is, thank GOD for air tools!
atleast you have connections to free food and delivery haha
Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

sounds like yall had fun!! may want to invest in a nice carport if you plan on spending alot of time there!! by the way, congrats on the new setup!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ap2002
sounds like yall had fun!! may want to invest in a nice carport if you plan on spending alot of time there!! by the way, congrats on the new setup!
i thought my old man was going to lend me his garage, but he didnt want his restored 65 stang in the open elements so we just opted for the driveway.

i think it will be just what he wanted, for now. LOL we all change our minds later.

he already had LS6 springs and a 3200 stall laying around, and wanted to use them..... we had a budget we were shooting for, and i think we hit the mark. i wanna say we had maybe 900ish in the heads, which are worked about as well as any off the shelf head, and fit this combo better, IMO.... cam was around 350ish, PR's = cheap, stall was my old stall = cheap, springs were my old springs = cheap

if he isnt happy, its fairly easy to change cam/springs i just went by what exactly he wanted.

glad we got it up and going my friend, look forward to a DYNO tune and some track numbers. i am guessing LOW 13 or better, and around 330-340 rwhp.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, longtubes and a h/c swap are a PITA.
Took me 6.5 hours by myself...usually I can fly through things.

On the drivers side header issue, I unbolted my Y-pipe and header, then used a 24" prybar to gently push the header around the head, and let it slide down right below the head. I didnt have to move the steering shaft.